Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

I am really worried

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm in year eleven and as i'm sure everyone knows, GCSEs are almost here.
In year nine i became really down and low, and i used to hurt myself because i felt as if the stress of everything was getting to me and i hated myelf for letting it do that. I got help from my mum and eventually the school but i guess i figured that the best way to stop cutting was to stop being stressed and the best way to stop being stressed was to not care. My school work hasn't been the best since then and i'm just so afraid that if i start to care and get stressed about revision and exams then i'm going to become that year nine girl again and that would hurt my family. I don't know how to talk to anyone about this and i really dont want to bother anyone.

Comments

• Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Hi Louise

Sorry you’re so worried about this :( GCSEs can be a really stressful time, and it’s OK to be stressed (it happens to all of us), it’s just important to find ways of dealing with it.

I think you’re right that being stressed is linked to caring – if you don’t care about things then they won’t stress you out so much. But there will always be things that you’ll care about, and it would be a shame not to do as well as you can do.

Don’t underestimate the value of having gone through something similar before. You had those feelings and you got help, so you know that you can make things feel a bit better. And I’m sure that you learned things along the way. You’re prepared this time, and if you do find things difficult, you know you can go back to your Mum and to the school to help you through.

You say you don’t want to hurt your family or bother anyone, but I wonder if you could think about that a bit differently? While it can be upsetting when someone close to you is struggling, it’s also a really precious thing to be able to help them through it.

Keep talking here, but maybe it’s also time to open up a bit of a conversation with your Mum? Could you let her know what you’ve said here – that you’re worried that if you start to care too much about revision and exams that it will bring you down again – and see what she says?

You could also speak to whoever helped you at the school before and say that you’re worried about slipping back into the old pattern with GCSE stress, and asking them to support you. Maybe if you know that you have support if you need it, things will feel easier.

There are also organisations you can get in touch with for support if you don't feel able to speak to someone close to. You can call Childline (who deal with any emotional issues) free on 116 111 at any time, or the Bristol Crisis Service for Women (who offer a national support service for girls and women in emotional distress.

I hope that’s useful