Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

First relationship!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys :)

So I've been with my first boyfriend for a month and a bit now. I'm 17 by the way.

I was wondering if anyone had some tips or things to look out for in a new relationship and a first one at that!
I'm my boyfriends first girlfriend too so we are both clueless xD

I know relationships are meant to be go with the flow etc, however I have some mental health problems which get bad now and then and he has some problems too so I was just thinking if I had a heads up on things so that i can try and steer myself from making unnecessary problems when I'm stuck in the depths of my head.

Meow ^~^

Comments

• Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hey Jazz!

First relationships can be worrying, and difficult, but it sounds like you guys have hit it off great, which is really positive to hear. It's also common to worry about issues surrounding both your mental health issues! Have you ever come across MadlyInLove? It covers aspects of mental health and relationship together, and can be an amazing useful guide and also has suggestions on how to open up about your mental health in the relationship! Does your boyfriend know about your mental health problems yet?

Sadly don't have many tips on how to keep a relationship flowing, as everyone's different on how they approach a relationship! But do keep us updated on how it does :3

Best wishes,
    WhispersOfTheHeart
  • Options
    I think just be honest and upfront with each other. Make sure you spend time with other people - friends etc. And don't expect perfection - otherwise you'll be disappointed over and over again, because people all make mistakes.
  • Options
    Hey Jazz!

First relationships can be worrying, and difficult, but it sounds like you guys have hit it off great, which is really positive to hear. It's also common to worry about issues surrounding both your mental health issues! Have you ever come across MadlyInLove? It covers aspects of mental health and relationship together, and can be an amazing useful guide and also has suggestions on how to open up about your mental health in the relationship! Does your boyfriend know about your mental health problems yet?

Sadly don't have many tips on how to keep a relationship flowing, as everyone's different on how they approach a relationship! But do keep us updated on how it does :3

Best wishes,
    WhispersOfTheHeart

Hi :)

Yes he does know and he's extremely supportive :) he does this thing by not taking everything really seriously unless needs be and he's so laid back about stuff he really helps.
    He has mild aspergers and did go through depression before. He likes order in things but it also means he can be extremely forgetful so I'm there to remind him of things when he needs it :)
    Thanks for the link, I'll take a look!
  • Options
    Thanks yellowseahorse :)
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I think just be honest and upfront with each other. Make sure you spend time with other people - friends etc. And don't expect perfection - otherwise you'll be disappointed over and over again, because people all make mistakes.

This :yes:

It's really great that you have awareness that relationships don't just happen by themselves - they do take some effort by both people. :)

What's the situation for the two of you at the moment, are you studying?
  • Options
    Yes we are both studying in 6th form Helen :)