Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Happy being single

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is a bit of a pointless post but I guess I just wanted to share.

At the moment I am so happy to be single. Not happy in general, but happy being single ;)

I feel that I'm using my spare time to pursue interests close to my heart and I'm concentrating on me. And that's good I think.

There's so much to say about this that I don't know which bits to include. I was left totally destroyed by a relationship ending over a year ago. And at the time I thought it was the relationship ending that damaged me, but time and thinking have made me realise how much of the good parts of me were worn away by us being together. I never thought I'd recover from that, but I think I have mostly.

But I like being single. I don't think I realised how being with the wrong people in a relationship magnified my mental health problems. Obviously I'm going through a bad period of depression currently, but in terms of borderline-y type things - it's still a struggle but things did get better when I embraced singlehood(?).

Sure I miss things. I don't have many friends so I miss having a best friend, but I don't miss relying so heavily on one person to make me happy, which was a dangerous way to think. I miss sex too. But I'm so glad that I'm on my own, learning that it's only me that I can really rely on to make a difference to my life. I think if (positive edit - when) this period of depression passes I'll be in a really good place.

I wish I hadn't stayed in a failing relationship for so long thinking I was head of heels in love. But I think I've come out the other side a whole lot wiser and hopefully when I'm ready to try something with someone in the future, I'll be a lot more prepared and know myself, my mind and my heart a great deal more.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I just wanted to say this is lovely to read and you're someone people can look up to.

Also, positive and proud hug *hug*