Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Necknomination

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys,

If you haven't heard of Necknomination it's a drinking game where you get nominated and have to down a pint of something then nominate two other people (the majority of video's I've seen, people have mixed various amounts of spirits with energy drinks). That's dangerous enough, but now people are starting to mix other things with alcohol. As an example, a guy here mixed cleaner fluid in with his.

I hate the Necknomination game. It's overly dangerous and it's getting way out of hand now. People are taking it too far because they want to look great, and they want to one up their friends, but I just think it's stupid!

Here's a link to a video about it- courtesy of helen!

I personally would break the chain. If friends are your true friends then they shouldn't care whether you do it or not, and it's entirely your choice.

What are your views on all of this, guys?

Comments

• Options
    iv been being a party pooper and posting the link to the article of the boy in Ireland who died from taking part in necknomination on the videos people have put up!

absolute idiots.
  • Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    I think it's stupid, it's dangerous and not safe.

I have seen some videos on Facebook too, I agree with what you say about friends being true friends if they are real friends then surely they should understand. I don't get why people people are taking part.
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Options
    I don't see a problem with neknomination as a concept, drinking games have been popular for years. The issue lies within those taking part with something stupid like vodka or another high alcohol drinking. Downing a pint of beer is a common occurrence in pubs etc, hardly danger of the century. People just need to play sensibly and say no if they don't want to be involved, just like any other drinking game.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    People just need to play sensibly and say no if they don't want to be involved, just like any other drinking game.

We were wondering if the issue is that it's gone beyond drinking and is more about dangerous dares? The boy who died ended up in cold river and that seemed to be more of an issue than the alcohol. It's a toughie...
  • Options
    I haven't seen anyone I know doing dangerous dares, other people might be but I just see this as a common game being bought to social media. The games themselves aren't a new concept, the form of posting them online is.
  • Options
    I don't really know what I feel about this.

I think part of the problem is that before 'the days of the internet' someone would do something stupid, and the only people that would be likely to see it would be their friends that were there at the time. (Who probably due to being friends and all, may be just as likely to do stupid things). But does sharing on social networks with the added pressure of being 'nominated' lead to people doing things they wouldn't normally? Hmm.
  • Options
    I think people are starting to do dares. I've seen a few videos where I was just like :crazyeyes

One involved a guy mixing in cleaner fluid, another guy mixed in WD40, another guy walked in to the local supermarket in just a thong and downed alcohol off the shelf. I know of two people (not including the guy in ireland) that have died.

I understand there's an issue with peer pressure so if guys got dared to do these things then I definitely think it's stupid but I'd be less shocked than I would be to learn guys are just choosing to do these things of their own mind. Either way, silly people.

I'm just struggling to understand why people feel the need to 'not let their guys down', are they really unable to make the right decision and choose for themselves?
  • Options
    Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    Some guy did a pint with a turd in it
  • Options
  • Options
    The act of downing a single drink is nowhere near as bad as some of the "dares" in neknomination. I think a mistake is being made if too much focus is placed on the "neknomination" game as opposed to peer pressure, bullying and other factors.

All neknomination is, is turning into another avenue of peer pressure and potential bullying. I have taken part in a number of drinking games in the past, I wouldnt say it was wise or clever of me to have done so in anyway, however, all involved more than a single drink. People should always drink responsibly, if you choose not to then I would argue that neknomination is no different than any other form of peer pressure.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Some of the ones ive seen have had me in stitches.:d
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I was at work the other night and some idiotic girl asked if she could do it in the back of the police car whilst her friends filmed it.....
    She couldn't understand why I was laughing in her face.
  • Options
    Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    Skive wrote: »
    Some of the ones ive seen have had me in stitches.:d

:yes::lol:
  • Options
    The woman was filmed riding into a Tesco store in Bishop Auckland, County Durham, and downing a Pepsi Max.

Haha.
  • Options
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2555422/I-outdo-Last-words-tragic-drinking-victim-Briton-die-internet-craze-NekNomination.html

It might be bloody hilarious but I used to work with this guy, he was lovely and now he's gone because of stupid lads trying to out-do each other.

Im not one to judge, ive been involved in drinking games before and things have gotten messy but people really need to think before they dare their mates to do something
  • Options
    A lot of people who've been nominated are flipping it and doing RAKnominations. (Random acts of kindness).
    It's all about making a choice and not just blindly following your mates, if they dare you to do something stupid it's your decision, not theirs, whether you do it or not. People need to remember that.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I just saw something about that on Twitter - here's a story about a boy using his neknom to help out someone on the streets - http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/12/british-teen-helps-homeless-man-for-his-neknomination-4300865/
  • Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    i don't see the problem with neknomination as long as it's not over the top... i've been nominated and i've done it, but i didn't do anything stupid after ... a 14 year old boy i know ended up in hospital last night cause if it .. he downed gin and threw himself threw glass, people do go over the top with it but the game was meant to be like that, it was just intended as downing a drink them nominating 2 others....
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I don't know anything about this kind of thing but blaming the game for stupid things people do is like blaming Monopoly if some people decide that whoever loses will be shot.
  • Options
    Also, as for random acts of kindness, that is great. However, why should you have to be nominated to do something like that?
  • Options
    Not sure if anyone caught last leg yesterday but they had Legnominations - where they had people tweeting them to get Adam Hill to do funny things, like him and Warwick Davis dressing up as Prince and performing some of his songs, which was hilarious. It was a nice take on it.