Home Work & Volunteering
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Permanent vs temp job

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know that every 'should I go for the temp job' situation is different so I'll say a bit about my experiences.

I work for costa coffee, assistant manager and have been there for almost 8 years. Very cosy job, always allowed me back there when I was backwards and forwards through uni etc. But even as a manager, wiping tables, sweeping floors and cleaning toilets on a very up and down shift rota (usually something like 6-3, then 11-7.30 twice, then back in at 6 the next day) is not what I want to be doing. It's exhausting and I feel like my social life is suffering because of it. My main goal is independence. To get my own place and have a job that I enjoy and I can live off. Not too much to ask right?

I have a potential interview coming up if I can get it sorted around my shifts but it's for a temp 6 month job for an insurance broker. It's 4.45 now, I have to be up in 5 minutes for work and I've been awake for about an hour with all sorts of temping questions.

I know that a hire is not guaranteed and that this job with its potential prospects, and office experience will greatly help my CV and future employment. My job isn't bad or unbearable, so the only reason I have for leaving is career related (rather than because I hate it for example) and I am prepared to continue job hunting throughout should they decide not to hire me. I've just read all sorts of horror stories about people stuck in temping and only been hired to save on costs from hiring a full timer.

So.... If I get offered the job that is, worth it or not?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If it was a short term one, I'd say don't bother. Six months is a long time for a temp job, though, and means you have time to look for something else while gaining relevant experience.
    If it was a short term one, I'd say don't bother. Six months is a long time for a temp job, though, and means you have time to look for something else while gaining relevant experience.

I like that answer thank you
    I'd pretty much agree with what Franki said. If it was proper temp week to week type stuff then it might be different, but if you're committed to doing something different and it pays enough to be able to put a little aside to buy you a bit of time should it end after the 6 months and you haven't got something lined up exactly then I'd be tempted to go for it.

(That said, that should probably come with a health warning that I have a permanent staff job, and every time I think about going contracting I run a mile and stick with the staff job. That's mainly because it offers me stabillity, good benefits and a lot of training and development opportunities).
    My job does too but it still involves having to deal with rude customers and looked at like you're nothing because all you do is 'work in a coffee shop'.

Anyway I got the interview for it (yay!) on Thursday. I do have questions prepared in terms of what will my benefits be... how many other temps, progression and development prospects etc.

I think as Im still living at home and dont have the responsibility of kids, rent etc Im more inclined to go for it and break free from Costa! I never take risks in anything!