Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Out of the fridge

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
Yesterday I got a few things from a supermarket, and they were outside of a fridge or freezer for roughly 40 minutes.

More specifically, two frozen pizzas (one with pepperoni, the other plain) and a chilled chicken fillet.

I've read that 1 hour for frozen stuff and 2 for chilled is generally OK, but thought I'd ask for opinions.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    definitely okay. sometimes me and my partner go shopping then treat ourselves to tea out afterwards so the food bags stay in the boot for a couple of hours and everything is always fine. mind you this is in winter, the boot of the car is freezing, I wouldn't do it in summer.
  • Options
    Hmmm

Definitely ok.

The US government created a website which debunked hundreds of myths, I wish I could remember its name.

Very roughly speaking:
    - Bacteria only generate when food is not frozen
    - thawing and re freezing and thawing and refreezing food IS ok(!) This includes fish and chicken.
    - the number of hours food has been at room temperature determines levels of unsafe bacteria.
    - freezing merely halts bacteria growth and detracts from the texture quality of the product being frozen.

So don't thaw and re freeze, it only adds to the worsened and more damaged texture of the product, but don't be afraid to, so long as the number of hours a food has been standing at room or fridge temperature are properly accounted for.
  • Options
    definitely okay. sometimes me and my partner go shopping then treat ourselves to tea out afterwards so the food bags stay in the boot for a couple of hours and everything is always fine. mind you this is in winter, the boot of the car is freezing, I wouldn't do it in summer.

:yes: Definitely fine. Tbh I think our shopping is usually out for about 40 mins between faffing and the time it takes to drive home, etc.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Thanks. That was weeks ago and I'm still fine so it's confirmed anyway. So I won't be afraid to do it again. :)
    I usually bring things home as fast as I can, but some things I like can only be found in a supermarket that's about a 30 minute walk from here.