Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

self-harm urges

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i have the strongest urge to cut myself

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey willowtree

Is there anything you can do to distract yourself from this feeling? What do you usually do to help stop yourself from harming?

Has something happened to make you feel like this?

*hug*
    people i cant and having to talk to my mate about something he said that slightly confused me and i havent cut in ages and now i do i just want this all to go
    I'm sorry to hear you're feeling like this.

I recommend texting samaritans on 07725909090, they can be a good help sometimes.
    maybe not good with talking
    Maybe you could just send a text saying something like 'hi, I'm not feeling too great at the moment', or something like that? You don't have to blurt everything out, you can take it at your own pace. Maybe you could also point out you're not great with talking.

There's also an article on Thesite about self harm and ways to cope. I can't link yet as I'm on my phone but I will later, unless someone else comes along and links.
    could do
    Here's the article I think butterfly was talking about willowtree: http://www.thesite.org/mental-health/self-harm/dealing-with-urges-to-self-harm-5698.html

Sorry to hear youre having a hard day, do you want to tell us a bit more about what happened with you friend? Sometimes, talking things over can help.

Here to listen if you do want to *hug*
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hello WillowTree,

I wanted to drop you a quick post just to see how you were doing, and how you managed to deal with the urges? Urges in the moment can be rather overwhelming, and it can often be difficult choosing a distraction to use. I created a little jar where I have variety of distractions in, and I pick out one, and give it ago, with urges, it's often difficult getting rid of it after the first distraction, it's about keeping it going!

Did you check out the Link Jo7 had posted? It has a variety of coping strategies you can try, I do quite love sleeping, however, you can't sleep all the time, have you ever tried calling someone for support? I find texting friends as a distractions helps me to (For a random chat). What distractions have helped you in the past, if so, any? :)

Do keep us updated, WillowTree,

Best wishes,
    WhispersOfTheHeart