Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Telling my mom I'm moving out

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm 16 going to be 17 in March, my bf and I have talked about it and have decided we want to move in together. The only problem is that my mom dosnt know. I don't know how to tell her and I'm afraid when I do she will freak out, I need some help.

Comments

• JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hi sameman741,

Welcome to the Boards!
    I've moved this thread to our 'Sex & Relationships' section, as more people will see it there ;)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey sameman741,

Welsome to Thesite boards :)

Can I ask, how old is your boyfriend? How long have you guys been together? Please don't feel that you have to answer these questions.

Firstly, I just want to say moving in with your partner is a pretty big step to take and you need to make sure you're ready for it.

Honestly, your mum will most probably 'freak out', she may be a little angry but mostly she will be upset. You have to remember, you're your mums 'baby', she loves you, she cares about you, she's protective of you and she has brought you up. Everyones parents will most probably react badly when they hear their child is moving out, but that's nothing personal, it's because they care.

I'm pretty sure that if you're 16 or 17, you do need your parents consent to move out, but a lot of people do leave without consent. I just thought I should warn you.

I'm not sure what to suggest to stop your mum from maybe 'freaking out'. I'm just going to go off personal experience because when I first moved out, I went about it in the worst possible way.

The best option is to sit down with your mum and be as honest as possible. Make sure you tell her you appreciate her and everything she has ever done for you, make sure you reassure her that you're going to visit often. Do you think having your boyfriend with you would help, or make it worse? I wouldn't just blurt it out then go, that's definitely not a good idea, I'd tell her with a little notice so she can sort of get used to the idea.

Whatever you decide, good luck. I'm sure everything will be fine, you're mum will just be sad that her 'baby' is leaving.

keep us posted *hug*