Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

cutting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok my mother and sister knows i cut its scary i dont know what todo with them knowing and every one is directing me to samaritans like i am a risk to myself why do i feel so scared

Comments

• Options
    Hey willowtree,

How did your mum and sister find out?

I'm sorry you're feeling scared, can you explain what you're most scared of?

Samaritans can be great to help you explore your feelings, it might be worth a try.

You're not alone *hug*
  • Options
    my mum just said to me about it one mornign i didnt know she knew and then my sister saw my scars and started questioning them and i tried to make up excuses but they failed and im scared about everything life home friends the only way i would ever be a risk to myself is if my best friend said he doesnt want to be my friend any more
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hey WillowTree,

Massive prompts of being able to explain a bit about what's going on for you at the moment. How did your mother and sister find out about your self harm? I know it's a scary thought when someone who cares about us, knows were engaging in such behaviours, and often it can be a positive step to recovery and getting the support you need and most well deserve.

You've expressed it being 'scary' do you know what your main worries are? I was afraid that my parents would take away my coping mechanisms, but often that isn't always helpful, and it's about explaining that to them, if you can. What's your relationship like with your mother and sister? Maybe you could take one to speak to your GP with you, and hopefully get referred to alternative support, like counselling.

Many people often refer people to Samaritans, it's not because that person is at risk to themselves, it's more about having a listening ear, some support to lean on, and someone to reach out to, they are a great listening service, and you can get to know more about them via their website!

If your mother and sister already know you do it, you can't really make them forget but use it at your own advantage to take on support offered, do you think you're at a risk to yourself, WillowTree?

Do keep us updated on how you get on,
    Best wishes,
    Angel
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    willowtree wrote: »
    my mum just said to me about it one mornign i didnt know she knew and then my sister saw my scars and started questioning them and i tried to make up excuses but they failed and im scared about everything life home friends the only way i would ever be a risk to myself is if my best friend said he doesnt want to be my friend any more

Sorry, I've only just seen the two above responses, often when someone who cares about us, quesions something that's abnormal to them (Scars on your arm) it will leave them worried, without doubt. Is your sister younger than you? It sounds like you've also become rather attached to your friend to, which can often be difficult on both sides, because friendships work in cycle of them not always being with us, because it's just how life works, we loose friends, but we also gain friends on the way to. Hows life at home at the moment?
  • Options
    really bad time with relatives and my friend isnt helping and i think they guessed i started wearing long sleved tops and keeping my arms covered but i dont have the best realtionship with my mother or sister. and maybe i am at the moment i close to borderline from cutting/ending it and not
  • Options
    home sucks and she is younger than me i have become very attached to my friend and i think hes planning to leave me friendless
  • Options
    Hey willowtree,

It can be really hard when people find out about self harm for the first time. I imagine you feel quite uneasy about it and it's scary to have your private feelings suddenly out in the open. Big hugs *hug*

Have you seen our info on TheSite around self harm? We have a really good article on why people self harm and I wonder if it would be something you could show your mum to help her to understand? Here is the link: http://www.thesite.org/mental-health/self-harm/why-do-people-self-harm-5680.html

For you, we also have some info about telling someone that you self harm and how to deal with their reactions and your friend might find this one useful about how to support you.

Self harm can be quite shocking for some people so they may be pushing you to contact Samaritans as they're not sure how to help you and they just feel quite worried about you. The Samaritans have a text service too that you could try if you wanted to - it's 07725 909090 - you could just send a text saying 'Hi, I've not used this before but I would like to talk'. They will text back and then just see how it goes from there?

If you're feeling really on edge then you might find that distractions help to keep you going until the thoughts pass - what sort of things do you enjoy doing? There are lots of ideas here: http://www.selfinjurysupport.org.uk/files/docs/Catergories%20of%20distractions%20in%20bubbles_1.pdf

Let us know how you're doing :)
  • Options
    im ok but i want to cut and that but now they know its weird and things havent be going wrong every day
  • Options
    willowtree wrote: »
    im ok but i want to cut and that but now they know its weird and things havent be going wrong every day

thats good just rember we here for u ;)
  • Options
    thank you :) thats the thing i need is people there but thats where it goes wrong i can never hold onto a good friend for long:(