Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

feeling sick of "treatment"

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I got depressed a while ago, but then it seems my therapists want to control me.

Before I got depressed, I really used to like going out to clubs and bars, but now they say this is "wrong" without giving a reason why. I also said that for a long time one of my goals was to travel overseas, but they say "only some have the right to do this". er.. lol.. which "some" and according to whom?

I'm starting to hate psychiatry now, because it makes no sense and hinders and harms people. Call this a weird tangent, but take this Muamba guy who almost died when playing at Spurs. He can't play football again because his heart cannot manage it. But how is going to clubs/bars per se an illness? how is travelling overseas an illness? and using some fatalistic standpoint to justify it (fate may exist, but to me it's bull...)?

meh, I don't get it personally.

Comments

• *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Hey Danston

Welcome to the boards.

Sorry to hear how your feeling.

I guess different treatments help people differently. Could you chat to your doctor about your options?

I don't think they wont to control you, but maybe how they are saying things to you mean that you are getting that impression. It all sounds very difficult, and especially when you have dreams of what you want to achieve and you feel held back.

You can get there though, follow your dreams and your goals, cos they will come true some time :)
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well thanks, but I reckon that psychiatry is just a plot, to select who gets what and push religion and faith.

I'm actually planning to visit Mumbai and NYC soon, so if they want to section me for it, so be it.:crazyeyes
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Not sure I understand what your saying, sorry.

Is it an option to talk to a medical professional about your options?
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • *Holly**Holly* Deactivated Posts: 140 Helping Hand
    Hi Danston

Therapy can be very challenging, and we've got some articles you could read here that may be worth reading.

That said, what your physiatrist is saying does sound a little...off. As far as I'm aware, they shouldn't really be telling you what's 'right' or 'wrong' - just questioning your thought patterns and providing a safe and comfortable environment to work through what you're feeling. You shouldn't feel judged in any way, and this maybe something to raise with them.

How were you referred to them? And are you from the UK? If so, the articles I linked to provide advice on what to do if you don't like your therapist, and how to change to a different one.

Take care and let us know how you're getting on. And welcome to TheSite :)

Holly
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hey there,

I completely agree with Holly. It sounds like what your psyciatric is saying is rather a bit off..Are you getting the support from in the UK? With patients who have been diagnosed with depression etc. It's often encouraged to go out...Persue a hope and a dream. It's often to keep our minds foccussed and show us recovery is hopeful, it sounds like your psych is really limiting that. Do you think it might be worh consulting your GP/key worker and talking about how things really aren't working out with this person and express why...all psychs are.different in how they rncourage a patient to recover and often patients go through lodes of therapists before finding the right one!

(I've typed this up via phone. Shall like fornal edits to it soon however when I'm back on my laptop).

Best wishes
    Angel
    Yes, it is in the UK. It's made me a bit jaded, but then I guess I can root out the good from the bad professionals now lol..
    *Holly* wrote: »
    Hi Danston

Therapy can be very challenging, and we've got some articles you could read here that may be worth reading.

That said, what your physiatrist is saying does sound a little...off. As far as I'm aware, they shouldn't really be telling you what's 'right' or 'wrong' - just questioning your thought patterns and providing a safe and comfortable environment to work through what you're feeling. You shouldn't feel judged in any way, and this maybe something to raise with them.

How were you referred to them? And are you from the UK? If so, the articles I linked to provide advice on what to do if you don't like your therapist, and how to change to a different one.

Take care and let us know how you're getting on. And welcome to TheSite :)

Holly

Thank you.
    **Angel** wrote: »
    Hey there,

I completely agree with Holly. It sounds like what your psyciatric is saying is rather a bit off..Are you getting the support from in the UK? With patients who have been diagnosed with depression etc. It's often encouraged to go out...Persue a hope and a dream. It's often to keep our minds foccussed and show us recovery is hopeful, it sounds like your psych is really limiting that. Do you think it might be worh consulting your GP/key worker and talking about how things really aren't working out with this person and express why...all psychs are.different in how they rncourage a patient to recover and often patients go through lodes of therapists before finding the right one!

(I've typed this up via phone. Shall like fornal edits to it soon however when I'm back on my laptop).

Best wishes
    Angel

Thank you.
    Not sure I understand what your saying, sorry.

Is it an option to talk to a medical professional about your options?

I want to go on a plane and make them section me and deny me freedom. But then most of them reckon that freedom is evil.
    Hey Danston,

You're posting late (UK Time) - Just wanted to pop in and ask how you were doing? Why would you want to do something like that? Not only will you affect passengers, but also yourself, have you thought about sectioning yourself? If that's what you wanted? If you really don't feel safe if your current environment, how about telling us a bit more about what you do in your spare time? Do you volunteer?

Best wishes,
    Angel
    No, I was being facetious. If I travel overseas, then as psychiatry says it's bad, they'd have to section me.

I mainly go out, listen to music, do yoga, play music, and go online in my spare time.
    danston wrote: »
    No, I was being facetious. If I travel overseas, then as psychiatry says it's bad, they'd have to section me.

I mainly go out, listen to music, do yoga, play music, and go online in my spare time.

Unless your deemed unsafe, or have string attached to you that are controlling you, it's really your choice whether you choose to aspire with travelling or not. It's HIGHLY unlikely they will section you for just living life. If the psychiatric isn't working for you, you you looked in to alternative treatments that could be offered?
    maybe, but then it seems to me that all they do is push some 19th century moral order, as in people "knowing their place". and they like to tell everybody to be spiritual and go to church, but then I and most I know are atheists so I guess we're screwed haha..

But I made a promise to myself that I won't be a negative person, so I harp on about how bad psychiatry is. Life is too short.
    Lifes the longest thing a person can have. Do you think you still need Psych support in place towards your recovery? How long have been seeing the current services?
    About ten years. but the psychiatrist i see now is good, he doesn't judge me.