Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Provisional job offer problem

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm at the end of my tether with this scenario, and I'd really appreciate some guidance/help.

Basically I have been given an provisional offer with the council for a childcare job. I was offered the job third week in October. I was so excited, as I have been working hard to get a job. I was asked to do the DBS check, which I did, along with my medical (both are fine). References were a bit tricky as one of them went AWOL, but I managed to get a replacement one.

When I was offered the job the HR manager dealing with everything failed to give me details relating to the job (description, offer letter etc). A month passed with no response; naturally I became curious and I started to chase her up. In the end I had to make a complaint as when I had finally spoken to her, she said I was 'not a priority' and she had more pressing workload to complete. I made a stage 1 complaint and she became slightly more enthusiastic since then; providing e-mails of updates and the like but still little progress has been made. She'd tell me that I need to chase my references but when I spoke to one on the off-chance (one was my college tutor and I'd made an impromptu visit to collect my folder and have a chat) she told me that she refused the reference and said it was 'sent in error.' I have a copy of the e-mail.

When I spoke to her about it she said she did that because when she sent the online form, it had the name of my other referee's name on it, so she said it was sent in error. I don't know how true this was but I gave her the benefit of the doubt. Thankfully the college reference got sorted that same day after having a lengthy chat with her about it.

I've sent loads of e-mails trying to get her to quicken up the process with the second referee but it seems to be in vain. The last e-mail I sent was to ask her to contact second referee who works in a school. Due to her hours they both kept missing each other so I suggested that the HR manager shares her working hours with us both so that a suitable time can be arranged for them to communicate. I asked my referee to provide her work e-mail address so that the online form can be sent to her which she has done but I don't think it is reasonable to force my referee to call the HR manager, as I see it unprofessional. HR manager is saying she needs to speak to the referee before sending the online form so I'm stuck there. Everything is in HR's hands and I'm actually wondering if she's delaying everything because I made a complaint against her.

I've been given no start date, and still haven't been sent a provisional offer letter, but have been told that candidates will be invited in the new year to start. When I asked her if I can be given a start date she refused to tell me saying that as my application has not been finalised, she can't disclose anything.

I've started applying for other jobs in the meantime but I'm just disappointed and frustrated that it has to be this way. The job itself suits me and my qualification which I completed in July, the interview went so well and I really want this job. I also want a fresh start (to move out of my current area) which this job would provide for me.

Part of me refuses to give up on this one as I've worked with her for months to get the ball rolling and as I am nearly there I don't want to give up but I'm getting quite depressed about it all tbh.

I've looked on the council website and found no support with this matter.

Any advice will be useful!! Thanks in advance! :(:impissed:

Comments

• Options
    Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Hi chan-chan

That sounds like a really frustrating situation. It does seem like you've been doing everything you can. Which means it's hard to give much useful advice!

I would say that as it's dragged for this long, applying for other jobs as well seems a good route. It can be helpful to feel like you're moving positively forwards rather than feeling that you're waiting on someone else. Of course, it might just be that they're really disorganised and it all comes together soon. But better play safe!

Let us know how it goes,
    Danny