Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Tips on ways to cope with depression

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My mum phoned me since i not been up to see her. She keeps asking me about christmas where iam going to be. iam not sure what to do. She ask me again last night and i had to put phone down beause i got all emosial depressed and could stop crying beause i dont know where i want to be. I keep having depression feelings and want to die. iam stuck in the middle beause my mum and dad arnt together they split up sinice i been put into care when i was 7. i ogt to choose who i want to be with. its upsetting and wish that my mum and dad not spilt up. i want to spent time with both of them. but i cont my mum and dad dont get on at all :(. iam feeling really depressed at the moment and i cont stop being in tears. i know it will upset my mum if i go to my dads and it upset my dad if i go to my mums. i really cont cope with this anymore

i alsp spoken to my gp about my depression tablets beause they not working but they wont do nothing for me

dont want to be like this no-more its making me feel iam in the shame :crying::impissed:

can someone help me with how to cope/ tips on depression

i really cont cope and dont want to be like this

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hello Heather.

Is it possible to see both of them? So spending half a day with your dad, and half a day with your mum?
    Even though they have split up, it doesn't mean they love you any less, and they must understand that it's a difficult choice to make.

Or if it's too hard, is there anyone else you can spend Christmas with? I'm spending Christmas with my friends, and have family coming up to see me in January as they know I don't want to go down.

Here's a link to Coping with Depression http://www.thesite.org/mental-health/depression-mental-health/coping-with-depression-5617.html

Big hugs *hug*
    Hello Heather.

Is it possible to see both of them? So spending half a day with your dad, and half a day with your mum?
    Even though they have split up, it doesn't mean they love you any less, and they must understand that it's a difficult choice to make.

Or if it's too hard, is there anyone else you can spend Christmas with? I'm spending Christmas with my friends, and have family coming up to see me in January as they know I don't want to go down.

Here's a link to Coping with Depression http://www.thesite.org/mental-health/depression-mental-health/coping-with-depression-5617.html

Big hugs *hug*

Hey thanks for the reply :(

I wont be able to see them beause there no buses on christmas day and my dad wont take me to my mums :(
    Hey thanks for the reply :(

I wont be able to see them beause there no buses on christmas day and my dad wont take me to my mums :(

Maybe you need to make the decision if you see one of them, or don't see them, and spend it with other loved ones/friends?!

If it's too difficult and causing you to feel stressed. Then it's best to avoid the situation. Phone your mum and dad and explain how it's making you feel, they will understand you.
    Could you spend christmas day with either your mum or dad, then spend boxing day with the other, or even new years day?

When you're feeling low you need to find things to distract you. What do you enjoy? I like to draw, and whilst I'm drawing I forget all of the bad urges/feelings.

Midfulness is amazing for this kind of thing too. I always have a 'mindful cup of tea'. This is where I focus on drinking the cup of tea, the warmth on my hand, the warmth as I take a sip, exactly how it feels when I'm drinking the cup of tea. It's great to have something to focus on so deeply. Have you ever tried any mindfulness?

If you just need a chat or someone to listen, you could ring samaritans.
    Could you spend christmas day with either your mum or dad, then spend boxing day with the other, or even new years day?

Yeah, this would make sense.

Heather - you have to do what you want and not what other people want you to do.