Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Been made redundant

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you're fortunate enough to be able to afford no income then all means be stubborn and arsey to people whose job it is to help you.

And best of luck when a potential employer asks for proof that you've been looking for work. I'm sure they'll be very impressed that you walked out and forfeit your benefits just because you had to wait for awhile.
  • Options
    They're not too bad. They'll actually help me to find work and they've encouraged me to look for work more.
  • Options
    I'm now listing jobs that I think I could do.
    So far, I have

Photography - Difficult subject to get in to.
    Re-toucher (Photoshop) - Need to go on a good course and gain experience.
    Web Design - Get back in to it and consider doing it again.
    Data Entry (Data Input)
    Delivery Driver
    Photographer's Assistant
    Work from Home jobs
  • Options
    I'm seriously considering to tell my advisor next week that I'm wondering if I should be on ESA instead of JSA, but since I have an appointment with a Disability Employment Advisor on the 14th, I'll see what she has to say about it.. Having leg ulcers is seriously letting me down. I'm so sick and tired of it all.

When I went to the hospital this week, the nurse said that she was going to have a word with the 'main boss' and ask her if she would be able to see me and see what she has to say about the ulcers..... The first one what I got should have healed up by now. The second is new and seriously painful and I can't stand it any more. I even go faint when they take the bandage off my leg. Every fucking week it is.

I always go for a walk for a mile EVERY day and its not helping to heal the ulcers. I used to take zinc and vitamin C, but when I spoke to the nurse, he said if your body can't take any more in your body, it'll turn into fat or something, so I stopped taking them.

Leg ulcers have ruined my life
  • Options
    Oops made a mistake in thinking that I had an appointment with the job centre this week, when it was last week. My excuse was that I mixed the weeks up. Just have to wait and see if I'll get paid. Not that I'm bothered since I have redundancy pay, even though I know it might not last me.

When I went to sign on 2 weeks ago, the 'adviser' said she thinks I should do some volunteering in office work.
    I should have said that I'm not looking for office work. It isn't me.

My normal appointment is next week and I'll tell them that I think I should be on ESA and not JSA. I would send Citizen's Advice Bureau an email explaining my situation if I could find their darn email address.

I keep pondering the idea of having a photography career, but its a difficult subject to get into.
    Once my ulcers have nearly healed and I don't have any pain, I'm planning on going on a course, an online one I think. College courses around here are a waste of time and they are not what I want to do. I could look at one-to-one private tutors, even though that will cost money.

I'm quite happy today that my leg ulcers aren't hurting or itching like crazy....(yet).
  • Options
    CAB tend to work on a telephone/appointment basis. You need to call them to speak to them, or go to the office during their opening hours.

Why is office work not you? What part of it? Office work has a huge range, and can be tailored to most interests. Do the volunteering - you will gain extra skills, be more employable, and may find your eyes opened about office work.

It has been said many times to you before that your attitude isn't helping. You have a "...but X stops me" attitude and that will not help. Put in the hard work and you'll get there.
  • Options
    Purple_roo wrote: »
    CAB tend to work on a telephone/appointment basis. You need to call them to speak to them, or go to the office during their opening hours.

Why is office work not you? What part of it? Office work has a huge range, and can be tailored to most interests. Do the volunteering - you will gain extra skills, be more employable, and may find your eyes opened about office work.

It has been said many times to you before that your attitude isn't helping. You have a "...but X stops me" attitude and that will not help. Put in the hard work and you'll get there.

Doing an Administration course back in college was a mistake, I shouldn't have done it. But I didn't know what I wanted to do. I wasted one year doing the course. I don't want to be sat behind a desk all the time. I'd rather be doing something that I love and not something that I wouldn't like doing day in day out for the rest of my life.

I only have that attitude at the moment because I feel SHIT having leg ulcers. The pain from them has been excruciating. I've felt useless. I'm suffering from a little depression at the moment.
  • Options
  • Options
    Because you keep saying you should be on ESA. Although, I will be surprised if you get it after being assessed.
  • Options
    I didn't need the link.

I need to get my leg ulcers healed before I look for a job.
    It limits me QUITE A LOT looking for work.
  • Options
    If you're on job seekers and can't work/look for work for any period of time, however short, my understanding was that you had to go onto ESA. I certainly did when I broke my leg because I wasn't available to start work immediately. You can still look for jobs that have a start date beyond the end of your ESA, particularly if it's short term.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    If you're on job seekers and can't work/look for work for any period of time, however short, my understanding was that you had to go onto ESA. I certainly did when I broke my leg because I wasn't available to start work immediately. You can still look for jobs that have a start date beyond the end of your ESA, particularly if it's short term.

I'll have to say something to the adviser on Thursday and see what they say. I was going to say something last week, but I didn't like the person who sorted me out when I missed my appointment.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Because you keep saying you should be on ESA. Although, I will be surprised if you get it after being assessed.

Why will you be surprised?
  • Options
    bump
  • Options
    bump
  • Options
    Why do you keep bumping this thread?
  • Options

Why will you be surprised?
  • Options
    Writing a list of the things I'm going to say to the advisor tomorrow and make them realize that I should be claiming ESA.

By the way, I got sanctioned for missing my appointment and won't be claiming any money until the end of next month. Not that I'm bothered of course. It's a stupid system anyway.
  • Options
    Hmmm. Just been thinking that I won't take any painkillers tomorrow before I go to the interview.

Yeah that'll be good. Maybe I'll be in pain when I see an advisor and they'll see me looking miserable.

Hmmmmm:d
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Your responses in this thread give me such an uneasy feeling in my stomach. You shouldn't be making people give you ESA and you certainly shouldn't be over exaggerating your pain so that you can be seen to be miserable, especially if it is well controlled regularly by pain killers and you shouldn't be calling the system you wish to exploit stupid. It is people like you, who don't use it properly, who make it harder for people who genuinely need support to get it. If you don't need the money because of your payout then why bother with this whole fiasco? Particularly when the number of jobs that you have decided you can do is ridiculous. Your attitude is what is stopping you get work, nothing else.
  • Options
    Your responses in this thread give me such an uneasy feeling in my stomach. You shouldn't be making people give you ESA and you certainly shouldn't be over exaggerating your pain so that you can be seen to be miserable, especially if it is well controlled regularly by pain killers and you shouldn't be calling the system you wish to exploit stupid. It is people like you, who don't use it properly, who make it harder for people who genuinely need support to get it. If you don't need the money because of your payout then why bother with this whole fiasco? Particularly when the number of jobs that you have decided you can do is ridiculous. Your attitude is what is stopping you get work, nothing else.

This. One hundred percent.
  • Options

This. TWO hundred percent.
  • Options

Still waiting for an answer Melian?
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    In case you didn't get it, I wasn't mocking the systems. I was mocking your individual attitudes the systems.
  • Options
    In case you didn't get it, I wasn't mocking the systems. I was mocking your individual attitudes the systems.

Thank you!
  • Options
    Don't see the point of joining Universal Jobmatch when its a rubbish website.

And what happens to those people who don't have a computer!
  • Options
    Need to claim ESA, tell them that there's no point in me attending the Work-related activity group. If I can't stand up for more than 5 minutes, what's the point in attending the group to look for a job.

I need my PAINFUL ulcers to heal before I begin to think about getting involved in the only one thing I'll be good at.
    I will be determined to find a job when they're healed (even though I know it'll be quite difficult to find one in the area I want to work in)
  • Options
    I've been suffering from leg ulcers since 2007. I have a print out of ALL the appointments I've had since then up until today.

Now you can see how they are affecting my fucking life. And I'll still get them until I fucking die.
  • Options
    I have these ulcers because I'm too tall and I slipped on black ice, fractured my tibia in my right leg (that's the fat bone for those who don't know). I then got varicose veins in that leg, then they spread to my left leg. I then got ulcers in my left ankle. Then another. Then I started to get them in my right ankle. Then another.

Last year I got one in my right ankle, then this year, I got one in my fucking left ankle over a healed ulcer/scar. And that's why its so painful.

Since getting these two new ulcers I've suffered from a little depression and when I got made redundant I got even more depressed and some anxiety issues.

I've suffered from so much pain in my life, that I want to kill myself. Drive over a cliff and get it over and done with.

People, if you have something nasty to say to me, then just don't say it at all. It will make me even more shit than I currently feel.
This discussion has been closed.