Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Been made redundant

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just been made redundant today because of my flexibility with my current situation due to my health. I can't work standing up and have to sit down all the time.

I just don't know what I'm going to do after Christmas.

But I do really need to get my foot healed before I do anything else. But this will take quite a few months.

Life SUCKS!:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sorry to hear about your redundancy,

maybe you could try and see the positives from it. you have time to get your foot healed properly and also you've hated that job for ages, it could give you the push you really need to find a new one when you're ready :)
    Yes I very much hated that job. I hated some of the people who work there. I wish they got rid of those people instead of us 4 who have been made redundant. Oh well.

They did say 'off the record' that I could go back ONCE my foot is better, so I guess that's a good sign, that I might have a job.

I really want to become involved in photography, but its a difficult subject to get in to.

I know my dad will want me to sign up at the job centre, but if I do that, I wonder what they'll say when I tell them I'm not looking for a job because I need my foot healed first.

Someone at work said that I should go and see my doctor and tell them that I've been made redundant and that I'm depressed! lol
    Have you done any of the things we suggested in the other thread?
    Which thread is that?

Sorry I haven't been on here much lately.
    This thread you posted in last week.
    Just replied to that thread.
    What would you do if you had no references?
    I feel shit right now knowing that going and signing on at the job centre will be a waste of time.

I won't find a job. I just have no fucking clue what i want to do right now. Just want to die.
    FishyFrags wrote: »
    I feel shit right now knowing that going and signing on at the job centre will be a waste of time.

I won't find a job. I just have no fucking clue what i want to do right now. Just want to die.

I don't think the Job Centre are a waste of time, and they should be able to answer some of your questions. Let us know how you get on. Where are you looking for work?
    Only Fish4Jobs and Monster. Haven't found anything I want to do on Monster.

I found a good job on Fish4 as a Mail Room Assistant, but don't think I'll be able to do the job because I think it'll require standing up.

I have an application form for DPD (for driving), but haven't filled it in. Not sure about it really.

I went to the job centre and they gave me a leaflet telling me that I have to apply online for an interview. That was a waste of time going. I didn't know you had to apply online to get one.
    All we can be certain of is that doing nothing will not get you anything.

From your posts, it seems like you tend to dismiss things almost as soon as you think of them, without actually trying them out. Your tendency is to assume that whatever it is will turn out rubbish. I suspect that this is self-fulfilling.
    You have to apply online for most jobs now.
    Even if going to the job centre was pointless, unless you go then you will not know. Pretty much the same as not going, so what is there to lose? It's a good step that you did go along and find out about applying for an interview online, even long journeys start with a single step.

I do agree with what Mist has said in terms of you being quite dismissive. I don't mean it in a nasty way but it does come across that you kind of dismiss things "because they wont work" without even having tried.
    Mist / G-Raffe

Yes that is true. It isn't my fault. I just don't have the confidence any more when I have a chronic illness.

I've only filled a 1/4 of the DPD application form in.
  • Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Hopefully you'll find a job soon (it should be easier once we're into the New Year), but in the meantime I just wanted to add a bit of benefits advice:

To get Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) you need to be available for and actively seeking work. So if you aren't able to work at all then you wouldn't be eligible. But you can restrict the hours and type of work you're able to do because of health problems (you'll probably need a note from your GP). So you could say you are able to work so many hours a day seated, and show that you're looking for that kind of work.

The Jobcentre has its problems, but some people have really good experiences, and they might be able to help you find something soon - worth a try!

This benefits calculator gives a rough guide of what you might be entitled to: http://www.turn2us.org.uk/benefits_search.aspx

Good luck with the job hunt.
    Danny! wrote: »
    Hopefully you'll find a job soon (it should be easier once we're into the New Year), but in the meantime I just wanted to add a bit of benefits advice:

To get Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) you need to be available for and actively seeking work. So if you aren't able to work at all then you wouldn't be eligible. But you can restrict the hours and type of work you're able to do because of health problems (you'll probably need a note from your GP). So you could say you are able to work so many hours a day seated, and show that you're looking for that kind of work.

The Jobcentre has its problems, but some people have really good experiences, and they might be able to help you find something soon - worth a try!

This benefits calculator gives a rough guide of what you might be entitled to: http://www.turn2us.org.uk/benefits_search.aspx

Good luck with the job hunt.

Thank you Danny.

I'll have to consider part time work I think until I can manage the pain. Standing up all day (especially in one place) doesn't do my foot any good. Because I'm so tall my heart needs to work harder to pump blood back up to my heart from my feet.

I had to fill in an online form and one of the questions says 'Do you have an illness or disability that prevents you from working'
    I'm sure the question will pop up when I go to my interview this afternoon.
    I went to the recruitment agencies (two in fact) on friday and they both asked me what I wanted to do.....I came to a blank.

Because I've been working in the same place for just over 10 years, my mind is all over the place.

I don't know what I want to do.

I'm at a loss here. I did say that I wanted to work somewhere, where I'm sitting down or walking round the place at on rec agency.

Tomorrow I have an appointment at the second one I went to. (Which is said to be crap) but the more places I join, the more likely I'm able to land a job.

The job centre plus website is still a load of crap.
  • Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    I agree about signing up to lots of agencies. They often encourage working in the same area as your previous job as that's where you have some provable experience and skills. Is there something related to your last job that you could suggest?

It's also OK to suggest more than one area that you're interested in, that's a lot better than saying "anything" or that you're not sure.

I've heard that said about the Jobcentre site!

How was the Jobcentre interview?
    My sister took me to an agency where she landed her job. Her boyfriends mate told her that there could be a job for me spot welding sitting down where he works. He said that he would put a good word in me. Not sure if he has done yet.

The agency told us that they don't deal with that company any more but a different agency does. My sister said that this 2nd agency were crap. We went and a we spoke to a woman who was quite friendly. This afternoon I also received a phone call asking if I'm still available for the appointment.

First agency has my CV, and said they'll be in touch in around 2 weeks since its a little slow because its Xmas holidays.

I have an appointment tomorrow with the agency morning.
    Job centre appointment is on thursday afternoon.

I did say to the first rec agency that I don't want to be sat down all day, but to move around on my feet.
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hey FishyFrags,

How is the job hunt going? How did the interview at the agency go?

Let us know how you're getting on :)
    Didn't go too bad yesterday thanks.

Second Agency said that they would send me CV off to a potential company (which my sister told me about). Fingers crossed that they hear something good from them.

Job Centre tomorrow. (Not that I want to go and sign up)

I have the following to agree to. Or lose pay for 4 weeks.
    • I will use jobsites and employer websites to find and apply for jobs I can do
    • I will log in to my Universal Jobmatch account to find and apply for jobs I can do
    • I will contact emplouyers directly to ask about and apply for jobs I can do
    • I will check newspaper job vacancy sections and pply to those jobs I can do
    • I will ask family, friends and former colleagues about vacancies, and apply for those I can do
    • I will respond promptly to contacts and notifications from employers and jobsites
    • I will consider what I need to do to make effective applications to the jobs I find
    • I will ensure that I have an up to date CV that I can tailor for jobs I apply for

I think point 1 and 2 are bullshit because there's NO JOBS I CAN DO in my current situation.
    Point 4... Well. the local papers are shit and there's hardly any jobs.

I'm feeling crap at the moment because I've lost my job and I just want a cure for these two leg ulcers.
    Fishy frags, if there are no jobs you can do you need to be signed off work and to be claiming sick pay, not Job Seekers Allowance. If you're not able to seek work, JSA is the wrong benefit for you and you will end up being sanctioned if you can't meet the very basic requirements of the agreement.
    Agree with picc.

If you can't work, then why are you looking for work? If you can work, even if you can't do any of the jobs on the job centre site, then that's enough. Universal job match has a thing for why you aren't applying for the jobs it suggests.

The first two points are no different from the rest of them, really. They just leave more of an evidence trail for the job centre.
    What a fucking waste of time going to the job centre this morning. I didn't get seen for 40 minutes JUST because I didn't give in my stupid appointment card. And even then I didn't get seen by an advisor. I was fuming! I went to the reception booth and the guy told to go and sit down. He didn't ask me for the appointment card.

I can work but I at the moment I can only do sitting down jobs. I can't stay off work forever. I have bills to pay. I'm also miserable as fuck because I don't have a job.

I can't be sat on my arse at my computer gaming and *looking* for a job all day.
    ... there's NO JOBS I CAN DO in my current situation.
    I can work but I at the moment I can only do sitting down jobs. I can't stay off work forever. I have bills to pay. I'm also miserable as fuck because I don't have a job.

If there are jobs you can do sitting down, you can meet the Job Centre's requirements.

They do make you jump through hoops, it is tedious as anything going through it, but it's important to avoid losing your benefits and honestly if you really want a job you will be doing everything they ask, anyway. I do understand how depressing it is to be unemployed long-term, though. I hope it works out soon.
    piccolo wrote: »
    If there are jobs you can do sitting down, you can meet the Job Centre's requirements.

They do make you jump through hoops, it is tedious as anything going through it, but it's important to avoid losing your benefits and honestly if you really want a job you will be doing everything they ask, anyway. I do understand how depressing it is to be unemployed long-term, though. I hope it works out soon.

Yes, there are certain jobs that I'll be able to do. I just need to 'dig deep' and find them
    Considering doing a college course or from somewhere else. Not sure what though yet. Might consider Web Design again, since I did a City and Guilds course years ago but never completed it.
    I'm thinking that I should be claiming ESA instead of JSA.

I think I'll have to ask the nurses at the hospital and see what they think.

I think I should get my ulcers healed before I look for proper work. But I'll have to see.
    Forgot to say that its the job centre tomorrow. I'm going to say to them that if I don't get seen within such and such of time, I won't come again!! I'm not wasting MY time trailing to them when they can't be bothered telling me properly what to do when I go in.
    Well now you know what you need to do when you go in, so it shouldn't be a problem.

If you're fortunate enough to be able to afford no income then all means be stubborn and arsey to people whose job it is to help you. If not, then you need to suck it up and deal with it. Being unemployed is not nice. Sitting in the job centre waiting because they're running behind sucks. But it's the way it is.

Looking for a job should be a full time job for you. Take this opportunity to improve your skills and knowledge. Look at free online courses, or volunteering opportunities. I know the people at YouthNet are always looking for new photos, so you could expand on your portfolio. Check out do-it.org. Look in charity shops or local shelters. Go on coursera.com or learn a new skill through YouTube.

But stop bloody whinging about how shit it is to be unemployed. Because that isn't gonna get you anywhere. Trust me.
This discussion has been closed.