Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Eating/weight problem (may trigger?)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys.

I've decided to post this because I just went upstairs and as I was going up I went really dizzy and nearly fell down backwards. So I'm thinking this is because I don't eat properly.

(Here's the bit that may trigger) I don't eat properly because I want to lose weight but I'm losing weight in the wrong places. I'm starting to see my bones in my hands and wrist, I can see my ribs a little now, I can see my hip bones. This makes me cringe a little. I don't want to be too boney, just thin. I know it's because I'm curvy, but I HATE my curves, that's why I feel so fat, why I look so fat. I'm a size 8-10, so like if I want something to be baggy I get a 10. I want to be a baggy 8.

I have sciatica, when I walk my back really hurts and then it makes the back of my leg hurt as I'm walking. Sciatica stops me from doing a lot of things, if I bend to pick something up it's like my back rips and I struggle to stand up again. So I can't join the gym, and I wouldn't anyway because of aspergers. Recently my left knee keeps locking.

I'm so weak because I'm not eating properly, and when I do eat I feel sick.

I hate talking to the doctors, I panic, I wouldn't go.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Size 10 is a perfectly healthy size, and if you're already starting to see bones now you'll only be able to see more as you lose weight. There are small exercises you can do at home to tone up muscles, instead of going to the gym, or you could try swimming. It sounds that toning up muscles would make you happier than weight loss.
    With regards to loosing weight though its more about what you eat and exercise rather than not eating or skipping meals. This can actually be worse for you and is not a long term weight loss technique. You need a balanced diet in order to have the energy to do things. Why not try and focus on smaller but balanced meals and when you are hungry eat fruit or nuts or something small like that. Not eating at all may make you loose weight initially but as soon as you start eating again it often ends up coming back whereas if you loose weight through reducing your food intake and eating the right foods this is far more beneficial and consistent.

Not eating means you are not getting the energy your body needs and it can have nasty negative impacts on your body and the reason you felt dizzy is probably because your blood pressure is low and it can affect other organs in the body. I know its hard but maybe you should try and mention your worries about food and weight to your GP. If you struggle talking to the GP which I know you do then why don't you write it down and then give it to them. Just a thought.

Your sciatica will make exercise hard but just 10-15 minutes fast walking a day is a good form of exercise if you can manage it.

This is a good NHS page that talks in more depth about loosing weight in a healthy way at home. http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/loseweight/Pages/Loseweighthome.aspx

remember to stay safe though butterfly and by not eating your not being kind to your body at all *hug*
    Thanks for your replies guys.
    There are small exercises you can do at home to tone up muscles, instead of going to the gym, or you could try swimming. It sounds that toning up muscles would make you happier than weight loss.

Swimming is the same as the gym, aspergers stops me.

Toning up muscles, I know what that is, but that wouldn't actually make me lose weight would it? The weight I want to lose is the curve. It's hard to explain, do you know what I mean?
    Lauren92 wrote: »
    You need a balanced diet in order to have the energy to do things. Why not try and focus on smaller but balanced meals and when you are hungry eat fruit or nuts or something small like that. Not eating at all may make you loose weight initially but as soon as you start eating again it often ends up coming back whereas if you loose weight through reducing your food intake and eating the right foods this is far more beneficial and consistent.

This is where I struggle to figure out if it is actually sort of an eating disorder. I don't like eating full stop now, it's become a bit of a habit for me and if I do eat I end up feeling sick, and sometimes think 'oh my gosh, the weight is going to pile on', and then I regret eating. So I get what you're saying, but I don't like eating at all.

I won't go to the doctors, I panic even when I have to phone them.

I'm not trying to reject all advice guys, I don't think I've explained properly.

Right, from the side I'm okay with how I look depending on what kind of mood I'm in, but if I'm looking directly at myself in the mirror (so from the front) I just think 'er, I'm so fat' and then I just try and hide my figure because I hate the curve. I just want to be straight all the way from head to toe but my curve, it's just so fat to me and I hate it. It upsets me so much.
    With respect, Lauren, someone who is a size ten is unlikely to need to lose weight. You're right, though, skipping meals is not a short cut to, or guarantee of, weight loss.

butterfly, it sounds like your self esteem is real driver for changing your body and I wonder of weight loss in the long run would really make you feel better?
    Toning up muscles, I know what that is, but that wouldn't actually make me lose weight would it? The weight I want to lose is the curve. It's hard to explain, do you know what I mean?

No, but as I and Piccolo have said it probably isn't weight loss that will make you happy. As a size 8/10 there really isn't weight you could healthily lose, and you will become very ill and maybe end up in hospital which I'm sure you don't want.

Toning up muscles will just tighten those "wobbly bits" that everyone has and will also improve your general health. Even 5 minutes a day can help, and it would hopefully help you feel more confident about your body :)

EDIT: Also, you will not be able to be "straight all the way done" the nature of the female body after puberty is curvy, you get curves and your hips get bigger. It's all normal and natural and no healthy women are "straight all the way down" because that is the body of a prepubescent girl- which women are not!
    As piccolo mentions, self esteem could be something to think about - you can do an online test that you might find useful: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/interactive/interactivetests/selfesteem.php

We also have some info on TheSite about it - http://www.thesite.org/mental-health/body-image-and-self-esteem/low-self-esteem-5941.html

Working on boosting your self-esteem can have a knock on effect in all areas of your life :)
    Thanks guys.
    piccolo wrote: »
    butterfly, it sounds like your self esteem is real driver for changing your body and I wonder of weight loss in the long run would really make you feel better?

I do think I would be happier if I looked a certain way, I know how I would like to look.

You see all of these celebs, on TV or social networking sites or in magazines, that are apparently fat when they are no way near. Take Lady Gaga for example, all the critics saying she looks 'fat' or 'pregnant'. It's like if people think she looks like that, then what must I look like to other people? I know people probably judge me.
    Also, you will not be able to be "straight all the way done" the nature of the female body after puberty is curvy, you get curves and your hips get bigger. It's all normal and natural and no healthy women are "straight all the way down" because that is the body of a prepubescent girl- which women are not!

I know everyone has curves, I just meant I want mine to be less obvious. I totally get where you're coming from though.

I may start trying to tone up and see if that makes a difference.
    Jo7 wrote: »
    As piccolo mentions, self esteem could be something to think about - you can do an online test that you might find useful: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/interacti...selfesteem.php

We also have some info on TheSite about it - http://www.thesite.org/mental-health...teem-5941.html

Working on boosting your self-esteem can have a knock on effect in all areas of your life

Thanks for the links Jojo. I did the online self esteem test and got a score of 30.

I read the article too and have decided to try that list. So whenever I think of something I like about myself, I will add it to the list and keep looking at it.

It seems like self esteem is my issue? So I'm going to try to work on that.
    You've got those multiple quotes sorted then ^^! hehe.. nice one ;)

Working on your self esteem sounds like a really positive step :yes:
    I have! I'm like a pro now! :D

I'm going to try and get the list done this weekend :)