Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Medication for bulimia

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone been on meds to treat bulimia? Did it help? Thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey!

Not much advice going here, wanted to offer you some hugs though.

Has anyone spoke to you about medication for bulimia? I, personally didn't even know there was such thing!

Hope you're well my lovely x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yea psych nurse said I could go on prozac, but I've been on it before (for depression) and it was shit so didn't know whether it'd be worth trying! I'm alright just struggling quite a lot with bulimia at the moment, thanks for the hugs :heart:
    SSRIs are sometimes prescribed for bulimia and there is some evidence of effectiveness but often the problems will come back/get worse when you stop the medication, because it can't treat the thought cycles and the behaviour. an AD would help with the associated low mood so reduce the need to b/p to feel better, and might improve motivation to change, but the best thing would be some CBT. I personally have reservations about CBT in general but it is very appropriate for bulimia because of its behavioural nature. if you are being given a choice, psychotherapy is much more likely to make a long-term difference.
    I'm on an SSRI anyway but my nurse was talking about prozac as well. But to be honest I'm on so much medication any way I can't see it making much of a difference. I'm on the waiting list for psychotherapy and my nurse said she's really going to push for it at the next team meeting, but I have no idea if I'll get a place and when. I'm just so worried about christmas :( I don't want to ruin it by being sick.
    I guess the best thing you can do is sit tight and hope the referral comes through quickly.

struggling with an eating disorder at Christmas is horrible. the best advice I can give you (and this is personal advice, not my semi-'professional' view) is to plan your meals and snacks when you can (in my house at holiday times any routine goes to pot and that isn't helpful at all), have activities to do with family/friends after meals rather than sitting alone to both take your mind off what you've eaten and to make it harder to run to the bathroom, and try not to build Christmas up as being a big food-fest. it's not all about food, despite what some people think. I don't know how supportive your family are, but they could help you by keeping the extra sweets/chocolates etc somewhere else (or better still, not have them at all), by trying not to draw attention to you when you're eating and by giving quiet encouragement. Christmas doesn't have to be a big ordeal if you keep it in perspective.
    :heart:
    Thanks hun :heart: This year our christmas is mainly focused around food, since last christmas my nan had just died and we didn't do anything... so this year it's "all about food" to keep everyone's mind off being sad. They don't know about my bulimia, I've spoken to my mum before but she just says I'm being ridiculous and so I just make excuses for when she hears me being sick. I think I will plan what I'm going to eat before hand and then just not stray from that, I might pretend to have a stomach bug or something so they don't make me eat loads.