Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

STDs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all,

I am a 22 year old male living in Belfast and April time I found out my ex was cheating on me, now I don't know the ins and outs but all I know was that she was in Africa for a couple of months when it may have happened, never hung around to find out the details.

Another problem is that I have health anxiety, which tends to come and go a lot. In July I may have had penetrated a girl through vaginal sex with whose STD status is unknown, but I am pretty sure that I never ejaculated but may have had some pre cum. Would anyone know statistically speaking what risk there would be of contracting HIV in Belfast through unprotected penetration? Think there are 525 cases of HIV in Northern Ireland with 121 being women but then taking into consideration those that have not been tested.

I do intend on getting tested, just spent an hour on the phone to the GUM clinic who would not answer.

Any help would be great,

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    I think that to avoid any anxiety/stress/worry, go and get tested ASAP.

Then from there, you can find out if you are clean or not, then worry about whether you have to contact the female that you 'may have penetrated through vaginal sex'.
  • Options
    Quite often GUM clinics have walk in centres which you can go to without making an appointment. As far as statistics go there is no exact number or way to tell you so unfortunately in order to know if you have caught anything you will have to get tested.

I just did a quick search about GUM clinics in Belfast online but here is a website I found with a range of different places and the different clinics and facilities they offer so it may be worth checking it out. http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/genitourinary-medicine-gum-clinics

Hope this helps and you are able to get tested soon
  • Options
    Go get yourself tested. For future reference, it's wise to test regularly when not in a committed relationship, between committed relationship and whenever you discover you've been cheated on. It doesn't matter who your ex partner cheated on you with.