Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

one for the females..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys,

So.. my period is really late now and I just wondered if any of you guys knew what it could be? Yes I know the obvious but I did a test I think about a week ago and I'm not pregnant. Should I be worried about this?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Stress?
    I am quite stressed out recently so this is what I though it might be as I read an article about it. But still I thought I would have started by now? I've almost missed a period..
    Stress can really fuck with your period. Might be worth trying another test but don't worry too much as there's a lot going on with you atm
    Stress can affect it as well as health issues which can put your body under stress. Also, if you aren't eating enough this can also be a cause
    Okay, thanks guys.
    Mine used to be late all the time. I find taking a couple of vitamin c tablets or some berocca can help bring it on when it's taking its time and you know you're not pregnant
    Hi butterfly123,

This seems to be quite worrying for you and must be hard *hug*

Have a look at our article on missed period as could be helpful - it looks at different causes of missing periods.
    Stress and mental health issues can definitely be a factor - you say you have been stressed lately, is there anyone you can speak to about this?

On the other hand, as frankipanda said, maybe it could be worth taking another pregnancy test in the next week;
    A false negative can be caused by:

Taking the test too soon: This is the most common reason for a false negative, because the hormone that shows you are pregnant is not detectable yet;

Using the test incorrectly: Almost all other false negatives come from the test being used incorrectly, so make sure you read the instructions very carefully.

If this continues, do try and see your GP to check if anything else could be causing this.

Good luck, do let us know how you get on *hug*
    Thanks for your replies guys and thanks for the article christele.

I think I've missed this period because I'm stressed out at the moment, feeling a little depressed, I'm hardly eating and I do keep losing weight.

Throughout this month I've been getting the pains that you get when you're on your period, you know the really bad ones at the bottom of your stomach. I don't know what this means but I'm assuming it's a good sign right?

Anyway, I'm sure everything's fine..
    If you're getting cramps without any bleeding, then no I don't think that's a good sign.

I think maybe you should go see a doctor.
    Oh.. thanks franki
    Was stood up waiting for the kettle to boil so that I could have a cup of tea mindfully.. not the point.. anyway I got the worse pain ever in my lower stomach. I dropped the spoon and I had to bend over until it stopped.
    And did you call your doctor? That kind of pain is not normal, even if you are bleeding.
    Well I thought about it but then I thought what if they try and say it's all of the tablets I'm taking? Then they might stop prescribing me the tablets and I need them for my back..
    Well I thought about it but then I thought what if they try and say it's all of the tablets I'm taking? Then they might stop prescribing me the tablets and I need them for my back..

There'll be other tablets they can give you that shouldn't have that reaction
    Agreed. That's not normal at all.
    ninaballet wrote: »
    There'll be other tablets they can give you that shouldn't have that reaction

I want the tablets I have.. they relax me.. it might not even be the tablets, I have been really stressed today, maybe it's that.

Sorry. I know there's nothing to be done if I don't go to the doctors. I just felt like posting what had happened.
    If you're relying on tablets then you need to go to the doctor. From what you've said here and what you've posted before, I think you're using them for something other than the pain and that's not good.

I think you need to see your doctor as soon as possible and tell him everything.
    What if I just went and told the doctor about the pain in my stomach but nothing else? I don't want to tell him about how many tablets I'm taking because I want them.. they might just try and put me on anti depressants again if I tell them everything.
    He still might ask if you're on anything. And shouldn't he have access to your records, including what you're taking (if they were prescribed)?

It's your choice...
    would it be such a bad thing to go back on
    anti depressants considering how awful you feel most of the time? x
    What if I just went and told the doctor about the pain in my stomach but nothing else? I don't want to tell him about how many tablets I'm taking because I want them.. they might just try and put me on anti depressants again if I tell them everything.

It is possible, but if your doctor doesn't have the full range of information available to her/him, s/he could easily misdiagnose you. Pain is not a useful diagnostic tool, but history and behaviour are.

You really need to tell him what tablets you're taking in case any of them are causing the pain, or if he wants to prescribe you something else which could react badly which something you're already taking.
    Thanks for your replies guys.

FireyFirenze- I got prescribed anti depressants once before, didn't want to take them, it caused a lot of trouble with my ex at the time. I know I feel horrible most of the time but I just don't think they're worth it.. or all the crap that comes with them.

Piccolo- I guess you're right-they will have information on screen. So he will know what tablets I am prescribed. He won't know how many I take though and I don't want to say in case they take them off me.

Nina- I don't want to take anything else.

I think, answering all of your comments, that I shouldn't go to the doctors.. I'm sure everything is fine. I have never before actually missed a period, this is my first time so it's a new thing for me and I'm just a bit worried but I'm probably worrying over nothing.
    Some times when ur stressed u can miss it. When I was really stressed I dint come on because I was stressed.