Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Struggling to talk again

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm not 100% sure that this thread is in the right place but anyway.

As the title really say's I'm finding it really hard to speak again. I used to be a selective mute,which is a anxiety disorder that prevents people speaking in certain social situations, such as school lessons or in public. Giving everything that has happened at collage the past few day's I am really finding it hard to talk. Every time I tired to talk to other pupils in my class I would be told to 'Shut the F***k up Your views arnt needed here' or they would have hit me or kicked me to get me to shut up....
I have said to the members of staff at collage about it and they say that there is nothing they can do...
A friend of mine said that she has noticed me becoming more quiet, I really don't know what to do anymore, I just feel like now when I am in collage I have to be quiet cause I'm now scared to even speak at all for that fact that if I do I'm scared that I'm gonna get hit or kicked.... I'm sorry for posting this, I just don't know what to do, I just need to get it out of my system.. I'm sorry

Comments

• Options
    Hi Suzy,

First of all don't apologise for posting on here because it's good that you have and we're here to listen.

I don't really have anything helpful to say but wanted to offer you hugs *hug*

I wondered what helped you get past speaking before when you used to struggle with it? Is there anything that could maybe help again?

I'm sorry to hear that people hit you or just tell you to shut up when you do say something, that's horrible. Have you told any of the staff at college that this is happening?

We're here for you.
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hello SuzyG,

Well-done for being able to post on TheSite.org message boards, and being able to reach out to us. That was an amazing first step to take. It sounds like things around you are rather overwhelming at the moment, it doesn't sound like college is helping at all with anxiety then. Does college have a support system around, like college counsellors, mentors, or even a college nurse, where student can go for support?

Every school should have an anti-bullying policy, and should act upon something like this, as nobody deserves to go through such a hurtful thing, including you, but where here for you through it. You mentioned you had been selective mute before, where you offered therapy as a way to deal with it? To help you with your anxiety levels? If people do use violence though, take it to the police, because the best way to deal with bullying is by getting it heard, speak up about it, till some form of action is taken!

Remember where here for you through this *hug*'s!

Best wishes,
    Angel
  • Options
    Hi,

My mother refused to get any help for me as she said that I was just making it up for the attention. So once I was told the first time that I was a Selective Mute I was offered the help but she said no. The Primary School that I was attending at the time worked with me in order to build my confidence and stuff up.

The collage I'm at now don't have a support system in at all as we are all adults apparently. After looking at the collage website to do with their policies they don't have an Anti-Bullying on in place. The police would do nothing about it, The did nothing before when I was at 6th form, just said that the 6th form has to deal with it.

Thank you both for reading and taking the time to help means a lot.
  • Options
    suzyg wrote: »
    The collage I'm at now don't have a support system in at all as we are all adults apparently. After looking at the collage website to do with their policies they don't have an Anti-Bullying on in place. The police would do nothing about it, The did nothing before when I was at 6th form, just said that the 6th form has to deal with it.

I would think your college has a duty of care of some description, but I do accept that not all act on it. The police should, though, if you are being assaulted at college. I know it's easier said than done but you should consider reporting it to someone.

Is there anyone at college you trust? Do you have any other support in place?