Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How can I lose weight with reduced mobility

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I registered with a new GP yesterday because my last had developed a default responce of "it must be the Fibromyalgia" to virtually every ailment I went in with. I was weighed and discovered I'm now 86kg (about 13.5 stone) and I'm only 5'1. So thats very not good. So I have two problems - one being the fact that I have greatly reduced mobility and outside I use a electric wheelchair, and the second being I comfort eat. Not a lot, I can't eat huge portions anyway, but I do at times and stopping that when right now I feel so physically and mentally crappy is going to be really hard.

I can swim, but then I can't do anything else for the rest of the day. I'm going to talk to my new GP about being referred to the local gym rehab service (so I'd be doing machine weights only, because I haven't the stamina for cardio asides swimming) and or being referred to physio because my shoulders are constantly subluxing (partially dislocating).

What else can I do? I eat really healthily asides the odd treat (which isn't even a daily thing). Would a liquid diet be a good idea? I need to loose about 20 kg!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi Miss_Riot

I lost a considerable amount of weight whilst I had a back injury that was so severe I couldn't sit, stand or walk for longer than 15-30 min intervals without being in excruciating pain, which ruled out any exercise.

If you check out the website for the Virgin Active health clubs, they have a BMI calculator. It tells you how many calories you need to eat to maintain your current weight, then advises you to eat 500 cals less to achieve a weightloss...

One of the main things I used to lose weight was a "tracker". By writing down what I was eating each day, made sure I was sticking to the amount of calories I was allowed and also I would weigh out certain foods like pasta as it is easy to overestimate what you think "x"grams really is.

Like you, I struggle with comfort eating and snacking between meals was a downfall of mine. I now swap sugary treats for low fat alternatives that I like just as much. I get more of a sugar boost eating sweet grapes than I do a chocolate bar now and much more energy!

The most important thing? Its ok to have treats and I never beat myself up if I go off track and start eating more than I should! A healthy diet, is allowing yourself to have a bit of everything within moderation!

Personally, I have heard horror stories about liquid diets and diet pills and the damage these can cause. I also have friends who have tried liquid ones and they are now bigger than before they began dieting!

I guess the most important thing I learnt was not to view it as a diet but a lifestyle change in relation to eating habits...it helped knowing I wasnt restricted and could still eat everything I wanted to...