Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Hair colour won't stay!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I bleached my hair at home and it didn't go light enough and the colour just came out very pink when I applied it (not very purple like its meant to!). I went to a salon and they used a cream bleach and then applied a purple (which they said was something they normally add to colour in order to add a tint to it). Didn't look quite how I imagined, the last 6 inches of hair are very red and the rest was more a dark pink but it looked ok. I left it 4 days before washing, used my normal mild shampoo and it all washed out. I went back and they reapplied it, I left it 3 days and it all washed out. I called the hairdresser today and asked for my money back and basically got told it must be my fault its doing that. They did a strand test and it seemed fine. But I'm not using anything that would strip colour from my hair!

Any ideas what I can do? Currently its a pink mess!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm guessing it's the bleach? My friend used to dye her's black and bleach a strip so she could put colour on it and eventually it just stopped taking colour. My hairdresser always told me when hair is damaged it's difficult to get colour to take.
    But it took fine to the strand test! Thats what I don't understand!
    I have this problem - my hair will not take any colour dye regardless of how its treated first. Sometimes I can get a slight change of colour on less curly parts of my hair, but generally nothing. I have very very thick curly (talking ringlets) hair, and unfortunately it's just a side effect of my hair texture. Not sure if this is what is happening to you, but its worth considering what texture your hair is, as some will just not take colour no matter how hard you try.
    I have uber straight hair, so it shouldnt be. I'm going to try and see if a protein conditioner makes a difference
    Try a silicone free conditioner, sometimes silicone build up makes a coat over your hair which can stop it from taking dye. Though you need to wash it with a clarifying shampoo first to get rid of any build up
    Been doing that for a while - I love naked products!

I spoke to another hairdresser today and they said it sounded like they put on a pure tone rather than a proper dye, so it was going to come out because its got nothing to set with.

So I washed it again today - I have staw colour hair to my ears and then its a dirty pink at the bottom. So i'm going to buy some manic panic and dye it this weekend as long as I can get my money back. I don't see why I shouldn't considering i've not received the right service!