Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Ho do you know which job to get?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I guess this is on a similar running to Whowhere's thread but dont want to step on toes.

Ive been with Costa for 7 years now, just starting management training that I could probably see right through til I leave, but want to start looking at jobs I could get that would allow me to be able to afford a mortgage (even just a small flat).

Thing is Ive become a bit institutionalised. Apart from school work experience and a teeny bit of volunteering, working a coffee shop is all i know. I cant see myself doing or enjoying anything else, my mind just goes blank. How do you know where to start looking, or even if you think you might enjoy a job if you're lucky enough to find one?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You also have transferable skills. So customer service type jobs too?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Lexi99 wrote: »

Thing is Ive become a bit institutionalised.

This. My job, has rightly or wrongly defined who I am. When someone asks about me, the stock answer is that I am in the police. It seems that I don't really have to say anything else for them to get a measure of what I'm about.
    When you do the same thing for so long, it is incredibly scary when you think about moving on. I've applied for a couple of jobs, and even though there are more reasons to leave than there are to stay, I'm bricking it because like you, it's all I know.