Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Sleeping Tablets

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
TW: *mentions OD at bottom*

So from seeing a lodeeee of people, I got diagnosed with a bunch of stuff and have been prescribed sleeping tablets. (Have to wait til end of week cos doctor isn't in)

Has anyone been on Quetiapine (think that's how it's spelt)? What where your experiences with it?

I'm not sure what to do, cos I've read that it makes you gain wait and can make you have insomnia.. :/

I've been giving a weekly prescription, because they're worried cos I OD'd on Saturday, blah. Could have had a normal amount if I didn't do that haha!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Quetiapine is an anti psychotic and it's used in piddly doses (I'm on 25mg) to help with sleep because it helps get rid of racing thoughts. I've had chronic insomnia for longer than I can remember and it's done wonders for me.
    I was on Quetiapine 150mg for my racing and intrusive thoughts. It caused really bad sedation at first, which decreased slightly with time. It did cause drastic weight gain with me however. I stopped it about two months ago because of the weight gain, but now I am to go back on it, because it did keep me stable.
    Hi Sophie,

I was on 25mg for a bit and my partner has just come off it too (he was on 100mg).

At a low level it can be really good to slow you down a bit, especially racing thoughts & nervous energy. However it can knock you out a bit too much & make you feel like a bit of a zombie.

I would recommend at least trying it, see how it goes for a week or two & make sure you have regular appointments with your GP.

The first couple of weeks can be a bit rough but the side effects tend to decrease a bit after a month or so.

Kat
    I think I'm more or less terrified about the weight gaining, if I continued my running, would it help maintain my weight I'm at?:/ I'm only being put on 15mg dose atm.