Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Lower Right Side Abdominal Pain

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm going to my GP tomorrow but just wanted some ideas/advice beforehand...

Last thurs I woke up in the early hours with burning pain across my lower stomach. It kept me awake most the night but carried on as normal thinking i had pulled a muscle...the pain (stabbing pain) moved to my lower right hand side and it felt tender and swollen...by sat night it eased off to a dragging/nagging feeling in my right lower abdomen and back...a bit like period pain without the period...

Today its back to a stabbing pain that wont ease off regardless of what i do, its cramping and i have the nagging feeling in my lower right back...

I know I should have seen my GP sooner but I've spent the last 12 months going back and forth to them so often that i feel like they would be fed up of seeing me! Any ideas of what it might be are welcome...all im getting from google is; pregnancy or STI both of which can be ruled out!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Could be appendicitis, you need to get it seen to asap.
    I didnt think it would be as the pain isnt severe constantly? I will ring my gp tomorrow for an appointment...
    Sounds like you should get an emergency appointment just in case. There are other, less severe, conditions that could also account for the pain so don't worry too much.
    If you're worried, try NHS Direct or out-of-hours.
    It can be appendicitis as someone else also said before. Going to GP would be more helpful with diagnosis.
    If I cant get in to the drs I might just go to A&E as its kept me awake again last night! Fingers crossed I can be seen though as they are usually pretty good :-)
    Appendicitis is a weird one, when my ex had it he was in agony but after 2 days all the pain moved to his right side, wasn't til then that they realised what it was and they whisked him straight off to have it out.
    Ohh...i'm dreading it being appendicitis! I have an appt in 10 mins so I guess I'll find out soon...really nervous but i cant stand this pain any longer!
    Have to give a urine sample tomorrow and stop eating bread!! If the test is negative and giving up bread makes no difference they have suggested doing a blood test...they have also said if I have the same pain between periods for a consecutive 3 months they will arrange a scan of my ovaries...
    Good news that it's not appendicitis. Tests are dull but they're mostly to try and rule stuff out so try not to worry too much - easier said than done, but when I'm anxious my aches and pains are so much worse.
    Thanks for the reassurance Piccolo - I'm trying to put it to the back of my mind as much as possible :)

I've had two different messages about my urine sample - one said they assumed it was clear because it had been tested and no notes were attached and no prescription was arranged; the other said it had been sent to the hospital!?! So I'm no clearer on that one and not sure whether to continue following it up or assume if I need to know something, they will call me?

I have all the symptoms of Ovarian Cysts and I have had this pain on numerous occasions but never tracked it...I don't know whether to keep a diary of all dates, wait out the three months using ibuprofen/paracetamol to control the pain as much as possible and then go back and request an ultrasound to confirm what I think it is or to go back now and request a blood test just to rule out anything else...

The only other thing I would be concerned about is my kidneys/liver as I have been taking medication long term for a back injury and I have been told by several GPs I should stop taking it due to the adverse effects it can have on your kidneys/liver - I even changed GP surgeries previously because my original one refused to give me a prescription for it but its the only anti-inflammatory that works...I by no means take it every day/3 times a day anymore (as originally prescribed) but I do take it regularly...having said that I would have assumed something relevant to your kidneys/liver would show up in a urine sample!?
    It may well be that the sample was sent to the hospital to be tested - and came back clear. Depends what the facilities are at the surgery for lab type testing.

My suggestion would be to see how it goes, keep a record of when happens - and if it's keep you awake at night type pain, then go back sooner than the 3 months.
    Thats what I'm thinking SM...been doubled over in pain all day today so I made a telephone appt with my GP for tomorrow to request a blood test...
    Spent 3 hours in hospital after my GP sent me there with suspected appendicitis...apparently I don't and all tests came back clear! Still in pain but glad to be home...now have to persevere with my GP for a referral for an ultrasound as the surgeon didnt dispute my assumption of it being a cyst on my ovary...feeling crappy!
    I am starting to think maybe i should have stayed in hospital and had a scan there and then...feel so unwell...whats getting to me more is that my mum is angry with me because she has a virus-y thing yet i had to go to hospital...its as if because they didnt take my appendix out im just exaggerating apparently...even though it was my gp's decision and not mine and shes cross because im only eating enough to keep my strength up and she thinks i should eat huge meals even though i dont normally and i feel nauseous!!! She is also annoyed i went to work today...i cant do anything right...try to carry on as normal and thats wrong...show signs of being ill and thats wrong too!!!! Argh...rant over!
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hey WhiteLillies,

Glad to hear you're appendicitis-free, though sorry to hear you're still feeling unwell. How are you doing today?

It must be frustrating that your mum is getting annoyed seemingly no matter what you do. You mentioned that she has a virus. Could that be why she's a bit irritable at the moment?

It does sound like she's just trying to look after you - making sure you eat well and not wanting you to go to work. Perhaps you could talk to her and let her know what is helpful and what is maybe less helpful?

Hope you're feeling a bit better
    I'm still really unwell...i felt so unwell this morning I physically could not go to my GP/hospital...

I don't know..shes just like that at the moment...shes doing her best though.

I'm starting to think I might have a grumbling appendix that was missed as they didnt do an ultrasound...all i know is i feel very unwell...
    Phone NHS Direct (which I think now is 111) if you don't feel well.
    Thanks Melian...I will keep that to hand in case I get worse before the morning...
    Been referred for a scan as "urgent"...waiting time of up to 2 weeks.
    I know im unwell but i cant describe how so...physically im still doing normal things despite the pain but even 30 minutes shopping drained me and its like i have no energy for anything...i have a deadline soon and im panicking about it but unable to actually do it as i just feel so crap but not with anything specific...its like my mind is functioning but my body has gone into shut down! Such a weird feeling!
    Scan is on thursday...really worried about it :(
    Scan is nothing to be worried about at all. They don't hurt, not even particularly uncomfortable - and the best it can do is help nail down what's causing you discomfort. Worst case is it stays a mystery.
    Its not so much what the scan involves - more what it will reveal...I cannot have anything wrong with me that will require an op :(
    Have they asked you if it's possible that you are pregnant?
    Lol yeah - it was the first question I was asked...its definitely not possible :)
    Well good luck with the scan today. Chances of it being something that requires surgery is pretty low.
    My GP referred me for an abdominal ultrasound (upper stomach) however they should have referred me for a pelvic ultrasound scan (lower stomach)!!! They did the wrong one anyway and although they wouldnt give me any specific information, they found gallstones and potentially something wrong with my kidneys but I have to wait for the report to be sent to my GP and neither of those things are causing the pain I'm in. So I now have to go back to my GP to get referred for the right scan to find out the cause of the pain i'm in, whilst sorting the other things they found by mistake!
    Sorry to hear that WL *hug*
    That sounds incredibly frustrating WL, and I'm sorry to hear you're still in pain.
    Have you found any effective ways of managing the pain?

I hope you can see your GP and get referred for the right type of scan soon.
    Keep us posted!
    I have a gallstone thats 5cm (apparently thats big!?), unusual scarring on my right kidney which they arent concerned about at the moment but want to monitor and its a 6 week wait for the right scan. They think it might be a cyst on my ovary in which case they said it will shrink on its own...
    Hey WL,

Thanks for the update. I imagine it must be nice to have more information.
    Still, six weeks is a long time, but it's good that they think it might improve over that period.
    Does it still hurt?