Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

It's Word Mental Health day!

JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
So, as you may already know, today is World Mental Health Day.

The idea is to raise awareness of mental health issues worldwide. This year the theme is 'mental health and older adults.'

Are you doing anything to mark today or do you know anyone who is?

Whether yes or no, what do you think of these global awareness days?
Are they good opportunities to get people talking about issues or just ways to make us feel better knowing that we've "done something" about them?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Maybe I've been living in a bubble but I wasn't aware it was Mental Health Week or World Mental Health Day today until this morning...

Global awareness days are great and drive home a message to a certain extent but MH still carries so much stigma and I think it's something people should be trying to raise awareness of at all times of the year...

When I was first open and honest about how I lost my Dad - I suddenly had a whole lot of people approaching me who knew of someone who had also committed suicide or suffered with MH problems but had never wanted to talk about it before because they were afraid of the reaction they would get and some even asked me not to tell others they had told me through fear of not being understood...it's a shame that in 2013 we still have taboo subjects...but I think the work of many great charities like Mind, Time to Change, YouthNet, etc get people talking about the fact that actually MH is real and is something we should promote awareness of; just as we would any other illness; e.g Cancer.
    Good to know. I will open a can of beer to celebrate my immaculate mental health.
    Maybe I've been living in a bubble but I wasn't aware it was Mental Health Week or World Mental Health Day today until this morning...

There hasn't been a huge amount of awareness, imo.