Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Facebook?

Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
I'd really appreciate an honest, frank response to this. If you were friendly with someone, and you found out they didn't have Facebook, would you think they were weird, or would it be more of an effort to speak to them? I'd like to know before I go to uni because it's something i worry about. Tbh, I'm the first to admit that I'm not a big people person, it's a part of my life I really worry about. I want to stay in touch with my old mates, and of course make new friends, but I am really nervous and like to keep a distance. Would just like an opinion on this really. :)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It wouldn't bother me.
  • Options
    When I first started at uni I didn't have Facebook. I gave my number to people I got on well with and communicated that way. My Facebook now is very private and I won't accept requests from randomers at my uni because I don't see the point.

The only thing I feel that I missed out on was not knowing first hand about SU events - they were made public on the FB page and I had to pretty much rely on other people to tell me. Likewise with course social events, I missed out and wasn't invited simply because I wasn't on FB.
  • Options
    Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    ella! wrote: »

The only thing I feel that I missed out on was not knowing first hand about SU events - they were made public on the FB page and I had to pretty much rely on other people to tell me. Likewise with course social events, I missed out and wasn't invited simply because I wasn't on FB.

This is what worries me, really.
  • Options
    SU events will hopefully be made public on your SU website, which is one way round it.

It's totally down to you, but I'm friends with people not on Facebook. My boyfriend isn't (hes 22) and he doesn't have a problem. I was made social sec for my course so I felt that I needed Facebook, or I'd be a pretty rubbish SS.