Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I don't think I'm being taken seriously

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Starting to get fed up now:

In May of last year, I was told I have arachnoid cysts on my brain and no-one can tell me the prognosis.

I went to the doctors because I was starting to get headaches and was told to just drink more, which hasn't helped at all. (drinking 2-3 litres everyday)

I had an eye test in July and explained my situation. The optician told me that he doesn't think the headaches are vision related. Yet, I appear to be slowly losing the vision in one eye. Although, it's hard to tell whether there's actual visual loss or whether it's down to things like tiredness. (the eye chart isn't an accurate way of telling how much vision I have)

I went to the doctors yesterday and explained the above. He took my blood pressure, asked me a few questions (to rule out migraine) and said I should take ibuprofen and paracetamol and that if it gets worse, he'll consider a referral to neurology (who are useless) and beta blockers. He also told me to stop taking the co-codamol. (I can't remember why)

Comments

• Options
    Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Hi Melian

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve not been able to get the prognosis you want. It must be really hard to find out that there’s something wrong, but not feel that you’re getting good advice on what to expect. It can be really frustrating seeing medical professionals who don’t seem to give enough thought to a problem, and it sounds like this has been going on for a while now. It’s no wonder you’re fed up.

It sounds like the doctor you went to see recently made some suggestions, and has suggested as neurology referral if things get worse. You say they are useless, have you had a bad experience with them in the past?

You can always see another GP if you’re not happy with the person you have seen. It might help to go with a record of everyone you’ve been to see, what has happened, and how your condition has changed (or not) over the last year.

Keep us updated, I hope you feel better soon.
    Danny
  • Options
    Thanks. Been to neurology many times. Last time, it was just "here's your diagnosis" and that was it. It was never explained to me what this means, why I have this, etc.

I am tempted to see another GP about this. Spent the last few days with a really sore head. :(
  • Options
    Sorry your head's sore :(

I hope a doctor can give you some more helpful answers soon :)
  • Options
    Hi there,

I'm a young person with health problems but i also work for the NHS. In my experience it is best to "shop around" for a GP, find one that you feel that you can trust and build up a relationship, someone who respects you and listens to you.

It took me a long time but now i have a couple of GPs at my local practice who i feel i can go to and who will treat me with respect and try and understand my point of view.

It worries me that you were just given a diagnosis, especially as it's neuro-related, and it wasn't explained, that's not on and i'm sorry you haven't had more help.

Let us know how you get on x
  • Options
    So, apparently it's migraine. I've had migraine before and it's nothing like it was now. (ie, I can tolerate some lights)

Been given 6 migraine tablets to last me 2 weeks.

The pressure over the last few days is possibly hormone related. I've spoken to a few females with arachnoid cysts who has said they have the same issue with head pressure.
  • Options
    Hey Melian
    How are you feeling about that 'diagnosis'? Have they said what will happen at the end of the two weeks - like having a follow-up appointment to see if the tablets helped?
    Hope you're feeling ok :)
  • Options
    I hope the plan is to go back within 2 weeks and decide what happens next, depending on how I get on with the tablets. The tablets are a pain - can't take more than 2 within 24 hours and only have 6 to last me 2 weeks.
  • Options
    And the tablets do absolutely nothing for me. Anadin Liquifast works better. But can't get them on prescriptions apparently.
  • Options
    Still getting nowhere. Considering cancelling the appointment in 2 weeks time and asking to see another GP. The current GP isn't that bothered that I've had 4 days within the last month with no pain.

I was talking to a friend of mine who is a locum GP. He said that this is normal and they tend to do nothing until you have blackouts. I don't want to get to that stage. I need help now. I've really had enough. :(
  • Options
    Hi Melian

Sorry things are still hard :( It's good that you're talking to a friend about this.

It's certainly worth trying another GP if the one you have been seeing doesn't seem helpful. Although maybe see if you can book the other appointment first? (waiting times can be a pain).

Let us know how it goes.
  • Options
    Thanks.

Saw another GP and now have an MRI scan referral.
  • Options
    Been on Amitriplyne for about 3 weeks now. As much as it helps, I really do not like the fact that I am really struggling to get up in the mornings. :(

I had a blood test done and that's all normal.
  • Options
    Bit of an update:

Had to change medication again and currently take Gabapentin, which has stopped working. :( MRI scan is normal, well, what's normal for me anyway and blood tests were fine.

Slowly getting worse and am being very frustrated now. Can't get a doctors appointment until the end of next week.
  • Options
    JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hey Melian,

Thanks for the update.
    That certainly sounds really frustrating, especially as you keep having to change medication. It's positive that your MRI scan and blood tests were normal (for you), but I'm sorry to hear that the headaches are getting worse. Seeing your GP does seem like the best option at this point, so it's great you're being proactive. I hope they're able to help when you see them.