Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Where can I find genuine people in London to work with?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm really interested in the idea of Crowd Funding - i.e. where you come up with an idea, make a video and then put the idea out there on one of the major websites.

Initially my idea was to try and get a group of people together who all wanted to do their own crowd funding projects and help each other using whatever skills we had. So one person would help make the video, one person would do a website, another might help with the design work, another might be a journalist who helps spread the word, etc.

We'd basically all be helping to make each other's dreams come true .. at least that was my initial hope. But after months and months of trying I'm struggling to find the right kind of people to get involved.

At first I thought I could go to the various Film Schools and find Film Students to help with the filming of the 2 to 3 minute videos that you need. But most of the Film Students I met turned out to be totally unreliable.

Also most of the people that wanted help, had nothing to offer in return and in many cases that was fine - I'm totally willing to help others but then they take forever to do whatever their part is to progress the project further and because they're getting something for free they don't value it.

I've turned to all my various networks, friends, etc but it's so hard to find the right kind of people. Most are just interested in their 9 to 5 jobs or spending their free time getting drunk on the weekends.

I have a range of ideas I wanted to get crowd funded, some ideas were to help people in developing world countries and some to do as a business. For one of the charitable ideas I need someone who can write mobile phone apps for Android, but people like this are in such demand for jobs they're hard to find as they're working all the time.

I'm really not sure where to go to find the kind of people that have both the interest in working on a crowd funding idea, but also have the skills and commitment.

Any pointers on where to find such people?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think its a case of trial and error really. I have had the same issue with my disability products company.
    Shame I don't live anywhere near London. I'd LOVE to help you make videos, even if my video editing skills are a little bit basic. :/
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    I think its a case of trial and error really. I have had the same issue with my disability products company.

Feel free to PM me with some more details maybe I can help - I do have some knowledge about some products
    TheFangirl wrote: »
    Shame I don't live anywhere near London. I'd LOVE to help you make videos, even if my video editing skills are a little bit basic. :/

Feel free to PM me any video making advice.

I got so frustrated with trying to find film making people to help that I bought a 2nd hand Digital SLR Type Camera with interchangeable lens so I could start learning to make my own videos.

I already have some experience editing my friend's wedding videos on a Mac using iMovies, so for me the next stage is to learn how to create my own original content.