Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

University and Long Distance Relationships

JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
2650411150_d94d5aca02.jpg

Hey everybody :wave:

So for a lot of people, including many of you, the imminent arrival of September brings the prospect of starting or restarting uni [cue Rocky/Jaws theme tune].
The other day, **helen** found an article about keeping up a relationship while living away at uni, which has got us thinking. What happens with your boy/girlfriend when you start uni? Should you power through or is it sometimes best to break it off before heading off? You can read the article **helen** found here.

We're interested to hear what you guys think about taking relationships through uni. Have you ever tried it? Was it hard? What are some of the problems and ways to make it easier?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd say it all depends on the distance, and the seriousness of the relationship. If we're talking one visit per month or less, then anything other than an already strong relationship might well just crumble.

I know that with me, last year I had to make the choice between three universities: two in the north west of the UK, one of which was in Bristol. Now I chose one of the north west universities for many reasons, but I know that if I had chosen the Bristol option I would have most likely broken up with my girlfriend then as we'd really only dated a handful of times. As it stands she lives in the same city as where I study, so we've been making things work and are still together now, 12 months later.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I went out with a Brazilian whilst I was at uni. Lasted 5 years. Now that was long distance!
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Just reviving this thread as The Metro has just published an article with Advice on how to maintain a pre-uni relationship - http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/04/how-to-sustain-a-pre-university-relationship-once-youre-a-student-4129228/

Do you think it's realistic?