Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Lack of MH care on NHS

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What would you do if there was some mental health support you knew that would help you, but your GP was unable to refer you (only able to offer referral to telephone counselling rather than any form of therapy) - where GP actually advised that other treatments that would help are available privately but NHS can't refer you to them?? Spoken to one therapist who operates privately and they said they would accept referrals if the NHS was willing to pay...

It just seems a bit broke really. Is this a common situation? Is there another level you can go to other than GP to get a referral?

Comments

• Options
    I have this issue, my psych doctor has said that psychotherapy will help me but the NHS don't offer it in my area. As far as I can tell, the only option is to pay for it privately unfortunately. The NHS are squeezing budgets as much as possible, so much so that my CAMHS team and my GP are pretty much having an argument over who should prescribe my medication (and who should front the bill for it, since I'm under 18).
  • Options
    I had this problems years ago. It took 5 months just to see a CPN who promptly decided not to see me again. I needed someone then and not 5 months time.
  • Options
    Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    It's worth having a look around to see if any charities in your area offer free/low cost treatments such as psychotherapy. They're not always easy to find, but there are definitely more in-depth treatments available for free in some areas.
  • Options
    Shyboy - lets talk (the primary psych service in our area) isn't telephone counselling but they do triage over the phone. They can also refer you to a primary CPN - so maybe you need to maybe see another GP at that surgery?
  • Options
    Unfortunately this is an incredibly common problem, it is pretty difficult to access most NHS mental health services due to long waiting lists, cuts to services and the demand for them, especially these days.

There are some services in some areas called IAPT (improving access to psychological therapies) which you don't need a referral for and which have much shorter waiting lists, it's worth seeing if you area does this.

I work for the NHS and do a lot of work around mental health & young people. If you want to DM me the area you live in i may be able to suggest some free non-NHS, non-private services.

I also recommend you find out if there is a local branch of MIND near you as they often do low cost counselling with much shorter waiting lists.

Kat