Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Muscle Spasms

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
About 3 years ago I tore my trapezius muscle in the upper right hand side of my back. It was so bad I was told I would not be able to do any strenuous exercise in the future and standing, walking and sitting would need to be alternated as i couldnt do any of these for long periods. I couldnt even sit in an hours lecture at uni. I've taken endless cocktails of prescription medication and tried both physio and a chiropractor...3 yrs on, ive done strenuous exercise and I can sit, walk and stand for longer periods but still struggle if I overdo it. What I really struggle with is the swelling of my back and muscle spasms. They normally occur around the early hours (hence why im posting this now!) and due to the intense pain I sometimes throw up. Ice is preferred to heat as heat makes the swelling worse and increases the intensity of the spasm. Stress is a contributing factor as is cold weather because of the tension in my muscles and repetitive movements...i cant lift anything repetitively regardless of the weight. Any suggestions on relieving muscle spasms would be appreciated!?!

Comments

• Options
    what about one of those infra red light thingies? I think they are meant to help with back issues.
  • Options
    I've been told to use a frozen water bottle and roll over it for my lower back - I alternate cold-hot but I'm sure you could just do cold. Have you thought about it being your position or mattress?
  • Options
    I hadnt heard of the red light things...I will google!

Ahhh thats a good idea...i used to use an ice pack (like the ones you put in lunch boxes that are hard) but it was very uncomfortable...at least a water bottle would be softer...I'll try that next time!

I sleep in the worst position (on my front) but i cant sleep any other way and i can sleep like that normally without an issue...its usually triggered by either lifting or walking for long periods. I've also been really stressed about my exam so i think its a combination of that..my new mattress is better too as its a proper back support one whereas my old one just felt springy from the day I bought it!!