Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

"My"

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
I'm fluent in two languages and know a few words in several more, and one thing they all have in common is something that, when I think about the meaning of some sentences, seems illogical and strange.

Compare these two sentences:
"This is my book."
"This is my brother."

Almost the same, but vastly different meanings. The first one means "This is a book that belongs to me", the second means "This person and I are related by brotherhood". You couldn't say "This object and I are related by bookiness", nor "This is a brother that belongs to me".

How did two meanings that are so different end up using the same words, in so many languages?
Could the use of such thing have an impact on our subconscious? As in, "This is my son/daughter, in other words he/she belongs to me"?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Interesting you mention that because I believe that in latin there was no word for my.

Similar to the number 0, (it took us thousands of years of counting before we figured that there was such thing as zero) there is quite a leap in language I think to start conceptualising 'me'.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Google Translate seems to think Latin does have a word for it, but it could be "updated" Latin of course.

I don't think the "my" (also "your", "his" etc) issue is related to conceptualising "me", to be honest. Having a concept of "me" makes sense, giving two different meanings to the same syntax doesn't really.
    Latin does have a word for my, it's "mea", but it may be omitted if the case makes it clear.
    piccolo wrote: »
    Latin does have a word for my, it's "mea", but it may be omitted if the case makes it clear.
    You're right, I should have remembered "Mea culpa".
    I think something like 'my brother' etc. does have the same meaning as 'my book'; the brotherhood belongs to you, even if the person himself doesn't, so saying something like 'my Jack' (meaning 'my brother Jack') doesn't really make sense apart from in a very possessive way, because Jack is a person whereas brother is a relationship.
    grace wrote: »
    I think something like 'my brother' etc. does have the same meaning as 'my book'; the brotherhood belongs to you, even if the person himself doesn't.

That's a lovely way of putting it!
    grace wrote: »
    I think something like 'my brother' etc. does have the same meaning as 'my book'; the brotherhood belongs to you, even if the person himself doesn't, so saying something like 'my Jack' (meaning 'my brother Jack') doesn't really make sense apart from in a very possessive way, because Jack is a person whereas brother is a relationship.
    I guess that's a possible explanation for how it came about, but I still find it strange that people didn't make a different word instead of "shortening" a sentence. Any linguists here?

However it happened... What do you think about the possibility that it might work on a subconscious level to make us think of others as owned? They say that language is at the root of human intelligence. I'm not sure I agree with that, but still.
    Portuguese has four word for my - meu, meus, minha, minhas.
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    Portuguese has four word for my - meu, meus, minha, minhas.
    What's the difference between them?
    Gender and singular/pleural of what you are talking about.
    It's just language and shit.

Oh myyy, I still remember my log-in details...
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    Gender and singular/pleural of what you are talking about.
    Other languages are similar. They still basically have the same meaning then.
    What I'm trying to say is, surely language was created more like "I have this idea, how do I give it to others?" than "I made up this word, what could it mean?"
    Then it makes sense that a new idea would require a new word.

On the other hand, maybe I have it backwards. When the first word for "my" appeared, perhaps it did always mean possession, and, in those times, some or all family members did use to be thought of as possessions.
    They're not now (except for people who should be dropped down a dark well and left to drown or eat each other and then starve) but, since that's how languages began, we still use the same construct.
    Remember that language is dynamic. No one sat down and wrote a 'law' of language. It's just evolved over time, thereby introducing various oddities - English being especially odd. :)
    It's not that a language has an oddity that puzzles me, and this isn't about English. It's that every language (that I know of) has the exact same oddity. I can't think of another oddity that's common in so many languages.