Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Housing Benefit

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone know if you can claim housing benefit if you work full time but have a gross annual income of less than £14000?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Probably not, just asked Leigh, £800/month gross is roughly the cap for getting HB for a single person. Councils do make discretionary payments but if you're earning about 12-13k gross you probably wouldn't get that either. if you're under 35 you'd only get rent for a bedsit/house share and I assume they'd state you could afford that on your wages.

You could try this https://www.gov.uk/benefits-adviser will give you a rough idea.

But you can always apply, if they say no you're no worse off.
    It depends how much the local housing allowance (LHA) for your area is and how much rent you pay.
    Depends on how old you are, what your rent is, if you have any disabilities and whether you rent privately or from the council.

Try entitledto.co.uk. I suspect not.
    I still live at home but desperate to live on my own but on my wages I cant...i get paid 13 times a year so my gross monthly (4 weekly) take home pay is £1045 but after tax its around £970...

Im 24, no disabilities and have no preference for who I rent from and would consider a house share...i have found a one bedroom flat I could afford to rent if i had someone to share it with...only I dont!

Thank you for the links...I'll have a look!
    If you're single and under 35 you only get the shared house rate, so you'll definitely earn too much.

You might get tax credits/universal credit next year though!
    Have you tried looking on spareroom and easyroommate? That's where I found my house share from when I was in one - £350 pcm all inc. Bargain when a half decent one bed in the same town was £450 minimum, before any bills.
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hey WhiteLillies,

Think it's mainly been covered, but it might also be worth trying Turn2Us to see if you're eligible for anything. :)
    Thanks guys :) i didnt realise how significantly cheaper a house share was! I will look into it :) thanks JPick...I'll take a look :)