Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Low Mood, Sliding into a nightmare.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so when my grandad passed away 3 years ago my world was completely shattered, he was one of the closest and my most cherished family member and prior to his death I had been visiting him in hospital every day for over 6 months. I didn't even celebrate new years that year, I simply stayed in bed.

After that I was forced to pick myself up and continue with life, I did, I got a job doing what I loved in music. I was always tired, it was a stressful position, I even put on a big chunk of weight - eventually I left after setting up a little clothing label and deciding to go to university.

Early on in my uni career, I faced difficulty I was struggling to keep up with peers and later on was diagnosed with dyslexia and I'd noticed my mood was low, I was struggling to motivate myself to get up and get out to uni. I had always struggled with social aspects of life but that was also increasingly effecting my studies.

I went to my doctor about it last year, he was helpful but refereed me for a blood test (I have a vast fear) so I left it for a while before seeking help from the university. I began meeting with the mental health worker at the uni and started to get a real insight into some of my problems. I have now been referred on for CBT.

The real issue is quite short term. I am currently working on re-sits after not getting much work done over the last year and having a big wobble on whether I wanted to continue studying. I have managed to churn out 2 of 7 assignments and still have a huge chunk to go and the official deadline was 26th July. As much as I take on tutors advice, friends advice, try to work I simply avoid and can't seem to get myself to do it.

I am really pro-active in attempting to improve my mental state, I'm a lot healthier in my eating, I've lost weight, I've cycled over 700 miles this year, been doing challenges and of course seeing professionals. But right now I am facing failure through uni and I simply do not know what to do, I feed off a couple of my uni friends energy and I love being at university and learning new things and I am really inspired and motivated about my dissertation. I just can't seem to leap over this barrier.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm sliding into deep crisis :shocking: :banghead:

Comments

• ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    Hey James,
    I don't believe that education is everything, some people have become very successful without any qualifications.
    I've never really excelled academically. Suffering from depression I found it difficult to motivate myself to complete my coursework at school and college. But, I do have a lot of qualifications now which have helped me find a new job. -I got these qualifications in my own time, some of the courses I dropped then went back to, one wasn't the right fit for me at the time so I changed it to another, with the advice of my tutor.
    So it's not a bad thing if you don't achieve your dissertation now, you could always go back to it.

Sometimes it's more important to sort yourself out first. When you feel better in yourself, you can feel more confident about your choices and see things clearer.
    I dropped out of sixth form after a few months, I just couldn't handle it, with the depression and paranoia the social situations became unbearable, which then affected my work. But when I dropped out I got some help that really changed things for me. I got braver, more confident and happier. I knew then what I wanted and went to college, where I received even more help with my depression. So try not to feel pressured.

By law they should be giving you extra time to complete the work because of the dyslexia. Are you getting any support for it?

I don't know if that helps but those are my thoughts. xx
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey there,

Oh absolutely, I completely agree, but I love being able to learn and be with my friends. I'm aware I'm not ideally suited to the academic frameworks, I completely excelled in a BTEC getting DDD because it was more practical. I actually applied for 13 apprenticeships and attempted to switch courses earlier in summer but I got knocked back from each and everyone unfortunately.

I know what I want to do. I just can't seem to do it! The bulk of the pressure of say dropping right out is via finance and parents they don't know what's going on with me and even university is something they don't really respect.

I have extra time and plenty of support but it seems like a problem beyond that. I just can't put my finger on it or begin to overcome it.

Thank you for your thoughts! :)
  • ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    Same here. I like learning new things but seem to have trouble putting them down on paper.

Why don't they respect it? Getting into uni isn't something everyone can do.

How to you normally work? With me once I force myself (or find the motivation) to sit at the computer and start working, I start to build momentum and then I'm on a roll and get through 3 or 4 pieces of work. Or some people find it works better to take breaks in between and get more done that way. -not me, I tend to get distracted and forget to go back to the work.

Have you discussed it with your tutors/ head of department? (whatever they're called, I wasn't smart enough to get into uni so I wouldn't know) It could be part of the dyslexia. If you haven't it might be worth trying.

No need to thank me, anytime. :D