Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Cocaine or Heroin?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello all.

I'm about to write a story about a character who tries drugs to escape her reality. She's young, 21, and she has a minimum-wage paying job. This would be her first time trying drugs. I would like to know what the effects are of cocaine and heroin. How much would it cost to buy some and how much would she need to buy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to try and be as realistic as possible. Thanks!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's not massively realistic in the wider scheme of things for people to try cocaine or heroin as a first experience. That'd be unusual. So, if you're going for realism, you might want to alter that a bit.
    I didn't give away the whole plot but thank you for your input anyways!
    I'd think that cocaine was the less intimidating drug of the two to try first. No needles.
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    I'd think that cocaine was the less intimidating drug of the two to try first. No needles.

A lot of young people smoke heroin now a days.
    As Fiend_85 said, Cocaine is definitely the least intimidating (and in most case, more easily accessible) of the two, not to mention the most socially acceptable of them.

Have never taken heroin myself, but my experiences of cocaine have been a little varied (depending on who I bought from). They have always included a similar jolt on initially taking it though, usually in the form of quite a big head rush followed by an immediate "I'm the greatest person who ever lived" feeling, and about 30 minutes or so of a nice mellow come down. If you want to see what kind of effects it has on somebody though I recommend watching this clip from the film Human Traffic as two best friends are getting ready to do their next line

In fact, any insight you want into the recreational drug culture of Britain in the late 90's I'd recommend watching the film. It was like reliving a typical week from my late teens when I first watched it haha.
    I live near Brighton and heroin is much much easier to get hold of then cocaine, and it's also used a lot more. People take meow or MDMA for a high, and then ketamine or heroin for the comedown. I guess it all depends where you live, but believe me I'd have a much harder job getting coke than brown.
    I live near Brighton and heroin is much much easier to get hold of then cocaine, and it's also used a lot more. People take meow or MDMA for a high, and then ketamine or heroin for the comedown. I guess it all depends where you live, but believe me I'd have a much harder job getting coke than brown.

Seems to be the opposite up here in the north west. I've known literally dozens of coke dealers, only ever met one H dealer though. But then we're talking of 10 years or more ago, things might be different now.

And besides, am a good boy now, don't do any of that icky stuff. Only the herbal stuff.
    Mannynub wrote: »
    Seems to be the opposite up here in the north west. I've known literally dozens of coke dealers, only ever met one H dealer though. But then we're talking of 10 years or more ago, things might be different now.

And besides, am a good boy now, don't do any of that icky stuff. Only the herbal stuff.

Yea different areas have different things I guess, but of the dealers on my phone I'd say 90% could get me heroin, and maybe 50% could get me coke (although more would claim to be able to get coke, but the vast majority of it is just salt and some caffeine!!) also the prices vary loads, heroin is dirt cheap (£5 a hit) where as decent coke is £80 for 0.7 of a gram here.

I guess it depends on the kind of story the OP wants to write, coke and heroin do very different things so unless the OP is going to write about speedballs then the two drugs are very separate things.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Heroin is much more realistic as a drug to escape reality.
    Weekender Offender 
    tbh I'd say alcohol is most widely used for escaping reality.
    Mannynub wrote: »
    As Fiend_85 said, Cocaine is definitely the least intimidating (and in most case, more easily accessible) of the two, not to mention the most socially acceptable of them.

Have never taken heroin myself, but my experiences of cocaine have been a little varied (depending on who I bought from). They have always included a similar jolt on initially taking it though, usually in the form of quite a big head rush followed by an immediate "I'm the greatest person who ever lived" feeling, and about 30 minutes or so of a nice mellow come down. If you want to see what kind of effects it has on somebody though I recommend watching this clip from the film Human Traffic as two best friends are getting ready to do their next line

In fact, any insight you want into the recreational drug culture of Britain in the late 90's I'd recommend watching the film. It was like reliving a typical week from my late teens when I first watched it haha.

I would also recommend watching Trainspotting, although that's only about heroin use. I've only read the 1 book but the prequel Skagboys explains how each character gets hooked on heroin. I recall the main character Renton struggling with losing his disabled brother and dropping out of university. It might be worth reading them too.
    The OP mentioned a drug that would help people escape reality. Depressants such as heroin, alcohol and benzos are far more realistic as a means to escape than stimulants such as coke.
    Heroin is an extremely effective pain killer, after all it is only morpheine, and rather than give you rush it makes you numb to everything and if you have problems it helps you forget,
    Most people start taking heroin by chasing it (smoking it) rather than injecting it.
    Weekender Offender 
    Generally speaking coke is easier to source than heroin simply because Coke is far far more popular.
    Weekender Offender 
    are you a post whore or getting your post count up ready for spammage ? your reply has fuck all to do with the OP, like your other posts and its AFFECT not effect.

[Mod note: this refers to a deleted post ;) - JPick]
    My bet is post count up ready for spammage :yes:
This discussion has been closed.