Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What really grinds your gears :)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, what news do you really not care about ?

Currently for me is this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-23730480

I really don't give a fuck about you not getting some shitty, mass produced crap at Christmas. In the local paper 'outrageous' and 'disgusting' are bandied about as if they're cutting the pension.

There was some ex-worker twat wanking his nut about 'getting things in perspective' as it 'doesn't cost that much'. £210,000+ not much ? dickhead.

There are working families in this country who can barely feed themselves properly. They won't be buying chocolate, and probably presents and a turkey this Christmas because they just can't afford to and yet your bleating out and bemoaning the loss of some chocolate, well boo fucking hoo. Why not look at the real world and get some 'perspective'.

Being in Birmingham it is, of course, all over the local news.

Comments

• Options
    There are a lot of entitled people in the world unfortunately who honestly don't care if others go without as long as they get theirs.
  • Options
    Very true, Shyboy.

I don't care for news about "celebrities".
  • Options
    So called 'news' about which 'celebrity' has been seen with another and who may or not be dating. Like i dont get enough of that shit on facebook and at work. I dont care about real life peoples gossip, why would i care about people ive never met before
  • Options
    How in the news a woman with kids will always be described as 'mother of x amount of children' even if it is completely irrelevant to the story. It's just another way of defining women by whether or not they are mothers.
  • Options
    News stories that say x number of people died, including 5 brits. Why is their nationality relevant?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    How in the news a woman with kids will always be described as 'mother of x amount of children' even if it is completely irrelevant to the story.

Or in the letters page in newspapers etc. 'Jan Smith, mother of three' OK, so you've been fucked at least three times, why does that make your argument on council spending more important ? :)
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Or in the letters page in newspapers etc. 'Jan Smith, mother of three' OK, so you've been fucked at least three times, why does that make your argument on council spending more important ? :)
    It's the "THINK OF THE CHILDRENNNN!!!!" fallacy, coupled with traditional sexism and gender roles. She has kids, and is their mother (as opposed to their father, who wouldn't give a shit about them) therefore she's by definition not thinking of herself alone, as childless women do.
  • Options
    People who call the Mail the Fail - yes you either trying to tell us you can't spell or you think repeating a 'joke' that was ceased to funny in 1997 makes you clever. In either case it makes you look dumb/intolerant of other opinions and makes it hard to take anything you say seriously (this goes double if you're actually calling it this whilst linking to one of it stories and triple if you then apologise for linking to one of its stories)
  • Options
    How in the news a woman with kids will always be described as 'mother of x amount of children' even if it is completely irrelevant to the story. It's just another way of defining women by whether or not they are mothers.

Yet, they rarely say "father of x children".
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Yet, they rarely say "father of x children".

Unless it's to criticise him as being some sort of criminal or something.

ie Burglar Bob Smith, a jobless father of 16 children by 16 different mothers had this to say in his defence
  • Options
    People being offended by other people's opinions or flippancy.
  • Options
    The dredging up of some crackpot conspiracy theory regarding Princess Diana, with the anniversary of her death coming up.
  • Options
    neddy wrote: »
    news stories that say x number of people died, including 5 brits. Why is their nationality relevant?

agreed!!!
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    The dredging up of some crackpot conspiracy theory regarding Princess Diana, with the anniversary of her death coming up.

Agreed.

The constant reporting of a story over and over again. (Bloodgate, Madeleine McCann's disappearance, etc) Anyone would think nothing else is going on sometimes.
  • Options
    Constant stories about 'miracle babies'. Or any story talking about a couples struggle to have a baby. I'm sorry but it's not news.
  • Options
    Constant stories about 'miracle babies'. Or any story talking about a couples struggle to have a baby. I'm sorry but it's not news.

There was a full page spread in the local newspaper about babies that were born on the same day as the royal baby. Annoyed the hell out of me.

Particularly as one of them read, Chantelle, 28, gave birth to her 5th child......i'm sure Kate & Will will be so pleased for her.
  • Options

I don't know about anyone else; but if I was in the situation of having a miracle baby, I'd rather keep it private. It's nothing to do with the rest of the UK / world.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    I don't know about anyone else; but if I was in the situation of having a miracle baby, I'd rather keep it private. It's nothing to do with the rest of the UK / world.

On that subject, and this might not be popular.....but i don't like it when murdered people become public property. I hate seeing facebook pages like "RIP Mrs X" with 90000 followers.

Grief should be private....something for family and friends to do.

If something horrible happened to a member of my family i would just want to be left alone. I wouldn't want to be a front page news story or have all sorts of strangers who never knew the family sending me well wishes.
  • Options
    I agree with you to an extent. Well, it needs to be public for catching the killer, etc. But yes, if something like that was to happen to me, I'd want to be left alone.
  • Options
    Neddy wrote: »
    Particularly as one of them read, Chantelle, 28, gave birth to her 5th child......i'm sure Kate & Will will be so pleased for her.

I don't understand what is particular about Chantelle?
  • Options
    In mass tragedies and reports say 'Around x number of people are believed dead, including many women and children.'
    Like that makes it any more awful? Innocent people have died, it doesn't matter who they are.
  • Options
    Neddy wrote: »
    News stories that say x number of people died, including 5 brits. Why is their nationality relevant?

this really annoys me too!