Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Lack of Dr Advice Results in unwanted pain

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Some time ago I was put on Penicillin Vk for a throat infection 2 days into medication my joints were painful and burning, I was admitted tohospital as blood pressure raised 190/60, severe headaches and reaching. After being released from hospital with a diagnosis of de-hydration? By the 4th day I ws asked to stop taking medication after 4 calls to 111 and seeing 2 nurses and afinally a doctor. I visited my doctors and asked if I could be allergic to the penicillin but they said not and that it was just viral. As joints continued tobother me I returned to the doctors and asked if the Simvastatin I was on could have anything to do with the burning and aching in my joints, but I was advised that it wasn't (someone told me joint pain can be a side effect of some statins). The pain did lessen and I reeturned to my normal healthy self.
Just this wk I was put on Flucloxacillin for an infection after having my cervix corterised due to abnormal smears. One day into the meds my right knee was swollen and aching, then my left knee, my thumb joints, my elbows, big toes, hip and lower back. It only ioccured to me on the 3rd day that I was taking penicillin and again my joints were flaring up. I had a phone consultation with the doctor I went to see in the first instance, I said it was a coincidence that this had happened again while taking Penicillin, he informed me it wasn't allergy related and that because of the infection these areas were merely flaring up? I disagreed and he said he didn't really have an answer, so I said so should I finish the course and he said yes.
A couple of minutes later the doctor rang me back saying "I've just checked your notes and you are taking Simvastatin" I said Yes, He said "You should stop taking the Simvastatin when your'e taking Penicillin. I said no-one has ever told me to stop taking the Simvastatin even when I was originally ill. So apparently this is the reason why my joints are bad because no doctors checked my current medication and so I was never told.
So this was The doctors and the Hospital who never picked up on this - What do you think I should do about this. I am so angry because we put our faith and trust in our doctors and nurses.:Old Mad

Comments