Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Book Club is Magic in September: Nominations

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Yes, that's right, September is Magic Month!

A few folks in chat last night asked for us to keep posting on the boards whilst you get used to the new Groups format (Click Community -> Groups or follow the link in my signature).

So you can nominate books either here or in the group, and please use the format below.

The format is as follows: (this is a nomination from Flow and will be up for voting :thumb: )

Insight by Jamie Magee | kindle (free!) | ePub (free!)

9132056.jpg

Synopsis: Some say that dreams are the doorway to the soul. Willow Haywood is no stranger to that doorway. Each night she shares a blissful, silent dream with a stunning blue-eyed boy. With each new moon she is haunted by a painful nightmare shared with a different boy, who's always hidden by the shadows. In her waking hours she must battle her sixth sense. The one that allows her to feel others emotions as if they were her own. This insight is exhausting and frustrating causing her to draw inward, only trusting her family and few close friends. Oddly, this sense also attracts ghostly images that seem to appear out of nowhere. With a touch, they take her to wherever they may be, allowing her to change their emotion. This alone would cause most to go insane, but Willow filters her aggression by painting, capturing the emotion she changed. One August night a nightmare came days after the new moon. In this dream the shadowed boy marked her wrist with star, leaving her father no choice but to share a family secret that would tie all of the odd attributes of Willow's life together. Now, she has no choice but to outrun the fate that is closing in around her. In an attempt to lure her, the shadowed figure captures her closest friends. In order to save them, she must weave through broken myths, half truths, and the undeniable power of the Zodiac. With each step she takes Willow comes to realize that she has lived before, her path is one that she chose, and this trial is simply the beginning.

Reason for Nominating: Recently read it and need a reason to re-read as I have no money on my Kindle Plus it's free on kindle
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    No Harry Potter? I am surprised! You can nominate here, or in the group; it's open to anyone.
  • Options
    I forgot, on it like a car bonnet.
  • Options
    I've just done one. Probably more to follow, for those lacking inspiration, have you thought about:
    • The Inheritance Cycle (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr, Inheritance) by Christopher Paolini
    • The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R Tokien (also the Hobbit)
    • Harry Potter books
    • Dragonriders of Pern books
    • Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld Series
    • Terry Pratchett's Discworld
    • His Dark Materials series, Phillip Pullman
  • Options
    Any more for any more?

Fiend has come up with some awesome suggestions. Anything involving any kind of magic at all is good for us.

:thumb:
  • Options
    I can't nominate properly atm, but Dresden Files book 1, it's called Stormfront, but for the life of me I can't remember who it's by.
  • Options
    Jim Butcher.
  • Options
    Isn't he in Eastenders ? :)

Not in the group, but I read The Mephisto Waltz a while ago, still got it, and was an enjoyable read. Written in '69 so can appear a bit dated but I enjoyed it.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Not in the group.

Join, then ;)

But seriously, the groups structure on the boards isn't meant to create a need for commitment, or a "who's in, who's out" divide, if you have a nomination post it and I'll get it up on the poll :) (I'm taking that as a nom for The Mephisto Waltz, looks good!)
  • Options
    The Wind singer by William Nicholson

Synopsis:
    ?I hate school! I hate ratings! I won?t reach higher! I won?t strive harder! I won?t make tomorrow better than today!? In the walled city of Aramanth, exams are everything ? not only for children, but for whole families. When Kestrel Hath dares to rebel, the Chief Examiner humiliates her father and sentences the family to the harshest punishment. Desperate to save them, Kestrel discovers that life in Aramanth was once different ? and if she can find the secret of the Wind Singer, maybe life can change for the better once more. So she and her twin brother, Bowman, set out on a terrifying journey ? to the true source of the evil that grips Aramanth?

Reason for Nominating:

One of the best books I have ever read. Meant to be a kids book, but everyone I know who has ever read it has seen that theres so much subtext you'd not get as a kid. Its a multi-award winning, and really creates a mystical magical workd that you get sucked in to.
  • Options
    That was the winning book for one of the first months of book club, MR. Is there not another one you would like to nominate?
  • Options
    I could nominate the next in the series :p
  • Options
    I need to nominate Rebecca's World
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    I could nominate the next in the series :p

OK, I'll give it until some time tomorrow for complete nominations :)

Cheers all.
  • Options
    Turns out, Rebbeca's World by Terry Nation is actually quite hard to get hold of. So I won't nominate it, but I can't recommend it enough if you spot it.
  • Options
    Not in the group, but I read The Mephisto Waltz a while ago, still got it, and was an enjoyable read. Written in '69 so can appear a bit dated but I enjoyed it.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be in print at the moment, so I won't be able to include it in the poll after all.
  • Options
  • Options
    It was from 1969. :)
  • Options
    Yeah, but sometimes they get reissued.
  • Options
    Oh, and just to say. If you like Pawn of Prophecy, there's another 9 books to read to complete the story :) Is a very good read and worth it, I think so anyway.
  • Options
    Oh, and just to say. If you like Pawn of Prophecy, there's another 9 books to read to complete the story :) Is a very good read and worth it, I think so anyway.

Go vote! Most of the titles this month are from series, interestingly.