Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Any Vegans here?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello,

I am a Vegan now for three weeks and very happy about my choice.

I wondered if anyone else was and if you have any advice on Vegan shops for food or clothes/perfumes etc around London?

Many thanks,

Betty :cool:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :wave: Vegan for 6 years. Tesco's is amazing for vegan food at the moment, and it's all labelled clearly. They have vegan creme caramels that I'm addicted to, yum yum yum. The vegan society website has some great recipes, and if you're interested in baking some good books are Vegan cupcakes take over the world and Vegan cookies invade your cookie jar, they're both by the same people and the cakes and biscuits are amazing and easy to make!

I don't live in London so not much help there, although there is a lovely cafe on Camden High street that does vegan food- can't remember the name though sorry. But if you need to know any vegan places around Brighton or Nottingham I can help you :)
    Oh and superdrug is great for vegan products like moisturizer, shampoo etc. Lush is great too and more natural products but a lot more expensive.

There is a book called "the vegan shopper" I think a new one comes out every year, might be worth searching it and seeing if you can buy one. It has all the products from main stores that are vegan, including a lot that will surprise you. Also, if you subscribe to the Vegan Society Magazine you can get a discount in some stores, such as the vegetarian shoe shop (not sure how much a subscription is any more, but it always used to be a good magazine when I got it)
    I don't live in London so not much help there, although there is a lovely cafe on Camden High street that does vegan food

Inspiral! I :heart: that place, sometimes go there before church. There are tons of vegan thai/chinese buffets that do lunchboxes for about £3.50 in Soho / Camden.

Also, the Secret Society of Vegans on Caledonia Road. Yummy soy milkshakes.

There's one on Stoke Newington Church Street as well but I can't remember the name.

I'm not vegan, but I'm veggie and have lactose issues off-and-on so tended to know where to find vegan food when I lived in London.
    Thanks girls, I'm really touched by your replies :)

Broken Angel, I would love to hear where in Brighton a good food place is because we love taking our little one to Brighton on a warm weekend now and again...

I have not been to Nottingham yet unfortunately.

Is the caramel thing you mention the Alpro yoghurts? havent tried that yet, I have been eating a lot of nice flavousome meals, my fridge is really bare nowadays as everything is fresh...

You have to be really careful with ingredients now as some things still catch me out with egg and milk...

I will definately get a copy of the baking books from ebay as I always liked baking :=)

How do you identify the vegan cosmetics in Superdrug, is there certain ingredients which you know are derived from animals and you just check for them?

Hopefully ill get a lot of answers in the books you mention so thanks again x

Inspiral sounds lovely, i also found, by chance, a lovely food place after wandering around near Chancery Lane the other day, it was http://www.leonrestaurants.co.uk/

Had a lovely goji vegan salad...

THanks Piccolo, one of my jobs is in Stoke Newington so thats very good to know, ill find that :)

I feel much better after becoming vegan, I know exactly what is in the food i eat because I make it and it is all plant based, I was inspired and had my eyes opened by Gary Yourofskys Speech on youtube...

Betty x
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Another vote for inspiral - one of my mates loves that place so much she had this tattooed on her back:

Large_Logo_Brown.jpg

Seriously! :D

If you like venturing into East London then I'd also suggest the Gallery cafe:
    http://www.stmargaretshouse.org.uk/gallery-cafe/gallery-cafe

and

Pogo:
    http://www.pogocafe.co.uk/

I'm not vegan sadly don't think I ever could be - but power to you :heart:
  • Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Your post made me think of this vegan cookery blog - an entertaining read, and some good recipes too! http://thugkitchen.com/
    If anyone's interested The Post Punk Kitchen is also awesome.