Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Expert Chat: Tues 13th August with Author Holly Bourne, 7-8.30pm

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey there :wave:

We have an exciting chat to announce!

Come along and meet our resident author Holly Bourne! You may already know her as *Holly* on the boards but you may not know that she's also a published author :yes:

35020_154191898075603_1583014340_n.jpg

A bit more about Holly...
Holly writes the vast majority of the advice articles for TheSite.org. This usually involves interviewing experts and stealing their advice for her own life, yelling ?eww, look at this photo of smegma!? at her colleagues, and trying to sneak the word ?loins? into copy wherever possible.

Holly is also a novelist for young adults. Her first book, Soulmates, will be published by Usborne on 1st September. In the novel Holly takes the most romantic concept of all ? soulmates - and asks: What would happen if finding your soulmate was actually the worst thing ever?

The story follows 17-year-old cynic, Poppy and heart-throb guitarist, Noah. After a chance meeting at a local band night, Poppy and Noah find themselves swept up in a whirlwind romance unlike anything they've ever experienced before. But with a secret international agency preparing to separate them and a trail of destruction rumbling in their wake, they are left with an impossible choice between the end of the world, or a life without love?

Holly's publishers have given us a 25% discount off the book - pre-order here.

The chat will be split into two parts...

Part 1: 7-7.45pm

Ask Holly about her book and anything about becoming a published author.

Maybe you're a budding author yourself or thinking about writing something and not sure where to start. This is your chance to pick Holly's brains.

Part 2: 7.45 ? 8.30pm

We'll host a discussion about the idea of soulmates and expectations in relationships.
  • What influences your ideas on how relationships should be
  • Is Soulmates a useful concept? Do they exist?
  • Share your experiences of relationships

Holly will stay with us to share her thoughts too :)

The chat will be moderated by myself and Fostress - if you can't make it but you have a question for Holly then feel free to PM me and we'll ask it on your behalf :thumb:

Any other questions just ask, everyone welcome :d

You can find chat here: http://www.thesite.org/community/thesocial/chat

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This is tomorrow night! (Tuesday)

:thumb:
    Hello,
    Just found this, it looks really nice and I am very much interested. Do we have to signup or is it direct entry like regular chat? Thank you. :)
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hey Jen,

This chat is open to everyone - no need to sign up, just turn up :)
    It's open from 7pm to 8:30pm.

See you there!
    Thank you JPick. :)
    I've just read the first chapter. I think I grew up in Middletown - except we didn't even have Band Night...
    I won't be around for this chat will be at work boooo :impissed:

But wanted to say well done on the book! Have also read the first chapter and it looks great! Can't wait to read the rest.

I think I'm going to pre-order it for myself too (no longer a teen, but shhhh no-one will know :p)
    We'll make sure the transcript goes up in the next week or two so you can find out what went on hmmm7 :)
    Kicking off soon! :hyper:
    Open :d
    Gutted I missed this :( I got an awesome idea for a young teens book last year but then I went back to uni so my creativeness took a back bench. I'm about to finish so looking to pick it up again. This would have been useful
    The story regarding the term "Soulmate". I did not put it well in the chat but,here is the link to it. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soulmate#Historical_usage_of_the_concept
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Gutted I missed this :( I got an awesome idea for a young teens book last year but then I went back to uni so my creativeness took a back bench. I'm about to finish so looking to pick it up again. This would have been useful

Shame you missed it Ballerina but don't worry, the transcript will be up soon and there was some really great advice from Holly that I think you'll find useful - will make sure I give you a shout when it's up! :)
    I preordered from Waterstones today :)

Former bookseller top-tip; you don't get the online discount if you order in the store, but if a book shows up on a shop's sales figures they will restock it and it makes it more likely others will see it whilst browsing.
  • *Holly**Holly* Deactivated Posts: 140 Helping Hand
    Hey Ballerina

It's a shame you missed it but - hey- coming up with an idea is the hardest part, so you're already well on the way there! Lots of the questions I was asked were about motivating yourself to write, so you can read more about my tips when the transcript comes up.

In the meantime, my advice for getting your creativity back is to just get writing! Try and make it a habit, something you do every day like brushing your teeth. If you still feel too academiafied from uni atm, then maybe just try keeping a diary for a week or two until you find your writing voice again? I hope that helps.

Holly

PS: Thanks Piccolo - I really hope you like it :)
    Transcripts now up! :hyper:

We split them into two parts...

Live Q & A with Holly: http://www.thesite.org/community/thesocial/chat/chatarchive/livechatHollyBourne

Do you believe in soulmates?
    http://www.thesite.org/community/thesocial/chat/chatarchive/soulmates

We had a bit of a broader discussion about the idea of soulmates and 'The One' - feel free to share any more thoughts here - do you think they exist?

:thumb:
    Awesome :thumb:

My book arrived today! Wasn't expecting it to arrive until September! :d

(I know it was pre-order but in my experience it usually arrives late not early :p)
    Ooooh maybe I'll get mine, too :D I might pop in to Waterstone's on the off-chance. That would be exciting.