Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Relocation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey

I have decided (for many reasons i won't go into) that i want to up sticks and move somewhere new. I am 27 and still living at home right now. I've picked an area and there are suitable jobs in that area.

So I've touched up my CV and went to apply for a few things, but before i do i have a question.

Will i even be considered when my home address is 50/60/70 miles from the location of the job?

Should i be broaching the subject in covering letters and say i am planning to move?

Should add that financially i am not in a position to move and then job seek.

Any other tips from people who have done this/tried to would appreciated :)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've applied for jobs 50+ miles away and have never mentioned anything about relocating in my cover letter - I imagine most places would assume you are willing to move, hence applying for the job in the first place.

For my current job I moved 80ish miles - in my interview they asked me if I was planning on moving closer, I said yes, that was it. After offering me the job they were very helpful in suggesting areas to live, and even emailed asking if anyone had a spare room I could rent in the short term while I looked.

Mentioning you're willing to relocate in your cover letter obviously wouldn't be a negative thing but I'd keep it to one sentence if you must.

I definitely wouldn't say that financially you're unable to move and then job seek - kind of makes it sound as though you're more interested in moving to the area than the actual job.