Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Ocd?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In ways I think I do have OCD but at the same time I don't want to admit it because it'll mean one more problem I have...
Every time I wash my hands I have to count to 100 before I stop, and I wash my hands at least 10-20 times a day, I have to have all my books, dvds and cds in alphabetical order, as well as my clothes in certain sections and then within those sections they have to be in alphabetical order by colour, every time i walk past a lampost i have to touch it and I have to wipe everything down daily with wipes to make sure everything is clean, and I freak out at the thought of any germs on contamination happening, and the list goes on...

But I guess the things that bugs me the most, which i'm not sure is classed as part of OCD or not is my needs to check things with people and to make sure things are cleared up by asking questions, so if an argument has happened for example, and something was said I'd have to later check over and over again if they meant what they said when everything's calmed down, and then kinda take apart each section and the means for why they said it or not and ask a load questions about what's been said and why and why it's now all changed and it has lead to another argument breaking out because they said i kept dragging up the past even tho i have said before to them that i don't mean to do that i just need things clearing up and checked... but i didn't know whether this was part of ocd or whether it's just my personality and all that?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hi
    well, the first part sounds like it and if it causes you distress then it's worth seeing a doctor about it, GP who may refer you to psychiatrist who would probably prescribe an SSRI and then one of them doctors might refer you on to some sort of talking therapy. Of course if you did get the diagnosis you would then maybe be at peace with it? Then you can help yourself with self-help books, going to group therapy, talk to other sufferers... It depends what you want really, would a diagnosis benefit you? would the treatment help do you think? Do you want to change or are you not that bothered but asking on here because it's just a niggly feeling that you want to check out? o_O :) It sounds like it causes you quite a bit of bother, so personally I would try to get some help. Have you spoken to anyone close to you about it all?
    in ways I do want a confirmed diagnosis, but at the same time I'm already hiding all my habits/compulsions/whatever you want to call them from everyone I know, well as much as possible... but particularly family because they don't want to hear a single word of how I feel especially if it involves mental health... So I haven't spoken to anyone about it really...
    I had a similar issue, mental health issues were like a taboo subject and when I tried to get help I got told off for it. so I didn't say anything for ages and it got worse, so I tried again and this time got listened to... but I have also gone through a lot of shit with psychiatrists and medication which has made things worse, however I think things are just starting to go the right way, so maybe i'll feel better soon, who knows, but I think I would have much less an understanding of myself and my issues if I wasn't getting help and would still be pretty damn isolated and not have anyone to talk to... so yeah, it has its advantages, but like everything it can be very difficult
    Yeah I've tried a few times with telling my parents about my problems in order to have some support but have been told that I'll get over it, so haven't said anything about the possibility of having ocd, and whilst there's a few things I would like to be diagnosed properly I don't think that will happen for a good few years until I get to move out but it is causing a lot of problems and does make me feel like crap...
    Hi LuckyStarr

Well done for opening up about your concerns - it sounds like you're not getting much support at home about this, so I hope it's helped a little to talk on here.

I just wanted to let you know about a service that might be helpful for you. It's called OCD Action and it runs a support line that you could call - if you can't face going to your GP at the moment then it might be a good way of talking through how you're feeling and getting some advice? The number is 0845 390 6232. The website also has lots of good info, including a questionnaire 'do I have OCD?' which you can fill out online.

I hope this helps, keep posting to tell us how you're doing.
    :)