Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Child Labour

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is child labour as cut and dry as saying "it's wrong" or do you think it is a little more controversial in that not all child labour is bad?

Something to consider(?):

http://www.brw.com.au/p/why_this_man_supports_child_labour_0vE5TWffhxEPnqTm3rRTsL

Comments

• Options
    We allow children to work in the UK. The issue with child labour is when they're doing it instead of education, which is obviously quite common in poor communities across the world. I don't think anyone had ever claimed that all child labour is wrong.
  • Options
    Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    I think we have a slightly confused moral attitude in the UK?

Child actors and models can be working as babies and toddlers - this seems to be OK.

It's OK for a 13 year old to get up at 5am in the morning to carry ≥10kg of papers on their back in the rain, but not work on a production line.
  • Options
    Interesting article.

I don't think the issue is as clear cut as some people would like it to be.

I've been to countries where I've seen children working, doing things like collecting cans and bottles for recycling. To me this is much better then seeing children forced to go begging for handouts.

In an ideal world kids in every part of the world would go to school, have fun and learn lots of interesting things and then in later years get whatever job they wanted.

But the real world is very different.

I think kids of around 12+ doing some, limited amount of light farm work in their school holidays would probably build character, give them exercise and teach them some good values. Whilst a lot of kids in the UK might just sit at home and watch TV, play video Games, etc day in and day out for those long school holidays.
  • Options
    JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hi Imran520,

Welcome to TheSite message boards!
    It might be worth visiting our 'Start Here' section in the Welcome Centre to get a sense of how things work around here.

Generally, we avoid posting in old, inactive threads, as it's normally better to start a new one. The last post in this thread was a couple of months ago, so I'm going to close it now.

Feel free to start a new one!

JPick (mod)
This discussion has been closed.