Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cerazette problems (contraception)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone else on Cerazette pill? When I first started using the pill in 2007 I was orignally put on Microgynon which is the first line pill I think that is offered. I came off it when I split up with first serious boyfriend. Remained off it until I got serious with #2 but I'd gained a couple of stone at this point and my BMI was 34 so I could only be offered the progesterone only pill (cerazette). Went on it for a couple of years, no problems, no side effects - the lack of sex life was due to my ex being a total arse not the pill!

Came off it last August when we split. Used alternatives until #3 boyfriend. So I started Cerazette again in June because even though I've lost 3 stone my BMI is still 31.5 so I can't go on the combined pill yet due to the increased risk.

Here comes the personal TMI stuff but I need to describe! This time I have had red spotting and daily dark brown discharge DAILY for 6 weeks now. It's not pleasant at all!! I've only been given 3 months supply so after the next 1.5 packets I can go back for a review but I don't want this to continue until October!!

Comments

• Options
    You can go and see your GP about this any time you want. Here's the NHS page on Cerazette
  • Options
    I was on cerazette on and off for a few years due to not getting on with the combined pill and it stopped my periods all together with no spotting or anything. When I asked if this was ok the doctor said it was because I'm slim so don't have enough body fat to make the extra oestrogen to override the progesterone. So I'm guessing it's related to that? If it carries on then what about thinking about the implant? They wanted me to try it after I said that I still never felt quite right on the pill and the doctor said with the implant you get a steady release of hormones rather than a daily surge when you take the pill. I haven't tried it yet though because I don't have sex often enough to justify the bother so I dunno what it's like
  • Options
    Hey not a professional opinion but I've been on cerazette for 2 months and I had exactly the same, lasted for about 6 weeks. These last 2 weeks have been OK though, so fingers crossed I'm over *that* stage.
  • Options
    It's common with progesterone only methods. I had the same for 3 months with mirena coil
  • Options
    Yea I've had bad experiences with loads of pills, when I first started taking the pill I was 7 stone and I had constant bleeding for months, so I don't think it's to do with weight. I've tried combined and progesterone only and all were the same. I got the implant, and I had longer periods than I should have. Now I have the implant and I'm on the pill and *touch wood* all is normal and regular!

It will probably settle down though, I've never known anyone have an experience like mine thankfully!! The majority of people will get a bit of irregular bleeding to start with, you can go back to whoever prescribes it to you for advice if you're worried but generally they say to try it for 3 months before they will offer you anything else anyway.

The implant could be a good option, it works well for a lot of people and it's really comforting to know that you're covered for 3 years and don't have to worry about forgetting a pill or something. I do think you should stay on it for 3 months, because it is very likely to settle down. Believe me I know how annoying it is though!