Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Working with a Full Time Masters

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I have handed in my notice at work and my flat to move from London to Leeds and was told yesterday that I may not be able to do my course part time.

I initially chose part time because I have learning difficulties and bipolar and thought I could balance paet time with work and not take out massive loans... However, it may be full time or nothing!

How intensive are full time taught masters?

Would it be realistic to have a part time job to cover rent?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I did my Masters built into my undergrad, so probably not the best placed person to ask.

In my case, working more than about 8 hours a week would have been a real stretch - but I was doing a practical reasearch project that required many, many, many hours in the lab.

Is there a way you can get in touch with people currently doing the course to ask about it? They'd have more relevant experience.

I also know a couple of friends who are doing full time masters alongside practically full time jobs because the masters are almost entirely self study/research based.
  • Options
    I'm just about to finish mine :wave:

I did a full time MSc and it was quite intense, certainly more difficult than final year undergrad. The work itself wasn't loads more difficult (I didn't think anyway) but it was just the sheer volume. Our course leaders also deliberately timetabled a huge bunch of assessments together one term so we had a piece of work in every week for 7 weeks. We complained but they said it was so we could learn how to handle high volumes of work. :rolleyes: Out of the 14 of us, 2 were part timers and one full timer worked at a bar, so she often did nights and got little sleep. Out of all of us she probably struggled the most and made herself quite ill in the process. She's now pretty bad and the doctors are struggling to figure it out. She was scraping through on a lot of the assessments and she's having to re-write one 5000 word piece as she failed.
    So to answer your question, I'd say working during a full time Masters is going to be pretty difficult, it is essentially 2 years of work crammed into one. Have they said why you can't?
  • Options
    but I was doing a practical reasearch project that required many, many, many hours in the lab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkKKzTYIe3Q

:)
  • Options
    There reason was they're only continuing this course for one more year...

I am pissed off that they left it so late to tell people because I have handed my notice in to a job I have been at for four years and my home. :what:

The guy said he's pushing to allow some kind of arrangement.

I feel a bit fucked over.
  • Options
    I'm wondering if you can take it further if it comes to that. Especially because they've left it so late and could have left you high and dry. Would it be possible for them to transfer you onto a similar course at a different uni?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I'm wondering if you can take it further if it comes to that. Especially because they've left it so late and could have left you high and dry. Would it be possible for them to transfer you onto a similar course at a different uni?

I was wondering that, too, any way to find out about the complaints procedure? It seems they're failing to deliver as advertised but I'm not sure if you have any rights in that respect before you've registered with the university. Hopefully Mr. Troll will be along soon.
  • Options
    Depending on how the course works, is there the potential to do all of the taught bit of it in the first year and any dissertation bit later on to spread it out a bit? Might be worth discussing an option along that lines with them.
  • Options
    If it was advertised as a part-time course, and you applied as a part-time student, then changing the delivery mode is not really on. There's an argument that they can and there's an argument that they can't, but if they won't then you're still left liking it or lumping it. Some of it depends on why you applied for PT tuition; whether you stated it was for a disability or whether it was for a funding purpose.

Might be worth chatting to the SU?

In terms of managing workload, you'd be expected to treat your Masters as the equivalent of full time work, which means for a PGR course it'll be 35-40 hours per week individual study. Any employment needs to be on top of that, most universities would be concerned if you were doing more than 10-12 hours per week.
  • Options
    Have looked in to full time funding and it's unlikely I can afford it this year...

Of course, I no longer have a job or a place in two weeks, so will have to move in with Mum and start over in a small town with fuck all jobs there.

I may see if I can transfer to a similar course in Manchester...

Still awaiting a call to see what's going down. Maybe... Maybe they'll let me on.

I just think it's a shitty thing to do so late on when people are leaving jobs, applying for funding and putting so much effort in to starting a new life as a student.
  • Options
    So they called a couple of hours ago and apologised for the email, saying I wasn't supposed to see it and that I'm able to do the course!
  • Options
    Still sounds a bit weird, you weren't supposed to see it? But if you can do the course then I guess it doesn't matter. Huzzah!
  • Options
    So they called a couple of hours ago and apologised for the email, saying I wasn't supposed to see it and that I'm able to do the course!
  • Options
    Hurrah :)