Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Watching films online pay as you go

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can't justify paying monthly for films.

Is there a site where you can pay as you go to watch movies on? I know Virgin do it. But their selection of movies isn't that good, imo.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Netflix is 6quid a month, with a month free trial. That's pretty competitive.
    are you tied into a contract? Which is what I don't want.
    One month rolling, no cancellation fees.
    Ah, ok. Thanks :)
    Yes! Definately try netflix, at least the free trial!
    Blinkbox from Tesco is pay-as-you go for movies etc
    Netflix is brilliant, and to get even better value for money, install mediahint to get a bigger library. https://mediahint.com/

Netflix basically buys a licence to a programme or film for a certain time, but they have different licences in different countries (and notably, they have far far more licences in the US) so being able to see it for every country is a massive advantage :)
    LoveFilm is only about £4 a month (for streaming, no DVDs), I find it irritating and outdated most of the time, but I prefer it's collection of movies and TV over Netflix. There's a few shows Netflix has that LoveFilm doesn't though. I do miss mobile streaming (LoveFilm now offers that for iPad, but it's an extra fee and with selected access to content.)

I will say that the WORST thing about LoveFilm is their customer service, if you think it'll be easy to cancel when you want, be prepared to get annoyed on the phone constantly repeating yourself, they don't let you cancel online. That's my biggest gripe with them, they're outdated in many ways.

You should give them both a try.

There's other places like iTunes, Google Play, even Lovefilm has a PAYG service, but I believe that is DVD only. There's Blinkbox and NowTV (by Sky) it is subscription, but you're pretty much paying for the Sky Movies channel (and you can use mobile devices)
    Lovefilm was rubbish imo, the streaming was slow, the selection not that great and customer service quite poor, and I remember them taking money from me and not giving it back so I was just relieved to get off it. Netflix is really good though, great selection of movies and shows, streams well and it's easy to subscribe and then leave for a bit if you can't afford it and then go back, and if you go back within a year I think it is, then your favourites will still be highlighted. Whoever thought of this service is a genius. Much better than having to spend a lot more on dvd's, wait in line in a shop and then get ID'd if like me you're in your mid twenties but still look 18... the internet is far less discriminating!
    Thanks. :) Friends of mine said that Lovefilm wasn't that good.