Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Auntie been sectioned under mental health Act

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi..... i just found out my auntie has been sectioned under the mental health... she has had mental health issues for years.... ive been told she is in brighton but dont know where and i would love to go and see her but what would i say to her..... whats worrying me is that the way i am now with my mental health thats how my auntie started and now look where she is.... i really dont wanna be there..... it is my uncles anniversary tomorrow a year since he has been gone.... it is my aunties husband.....

what can i do and say to my auntie.....

Thanks
MrsMcelderry

Comments

• Options
    Many of my family members suffer from mental health difficulties as well as myself so I understand where you're coming from.. I think the best thing you can do is be there for your aunty. Maybe give her a call and ask if there's anything you can do?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
  • Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Sorry to hear about your Auntie. This must be hard for you.

I agree with what Ellie has said about just being there for her. I also don't think you should compare yourself with her. Things affect people differently. I know it's hard.

I guess I mean that just cos you are seeing it as "I am like she used to be, and look at her now" Maybe you should be thinking more along the lines off, " I am gonna get that support and get better"

Sorry if my post seems harsh. I was trying to word it in a nice way.

Hope your okay.
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Options
    JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hi MrsMcelderry,

It sounds like your auntie is going through a really difficult time, especially as it was your uncle's anniversary yesterday. She clearly means a lot to you. Is there any way you can find out exactly where in Brighton she is? Maybe the person who told you she was there might know.. What do you think about Ellie suggestion? Would being there and asking her what you can do be a good first step?

I can totally understand that you're worried about going down the same road. It must be a bit scary to think that you could end up in the same situation. Banana Monkey makes a great point. Everyone’s different, and mental health issues can affect people in different ways. Just because it happened to your auntie, doesn’t mean it’ll happen to you. What kind of support are you getting at the moment?

I don't know if you've seen it already, but we've got an article on being sectioned, which might be helpful.

Let us know how you're doing :)

JPick
  • Options
    Ellie :) wrote: »
    Many of my family members suffer from mental health difficulties as well as myself so I understand where you're coming from.. I think the best thing you can do is be there for your aunty. Maybe give her a call and ask if there's anything you can do?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

id love to go and see her i really do but im frightened does that make me sound selfish?
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your Auntie. This must be hard for you.

I agree with what Ellie has said about just being there for her. I also don't think you should compare yourself with her. Things affect people differently. I know it's hard.

I guess I mean that just cos you are seeing it as "I am like she used to be, and look at her now" Maybe you should be thinking more along the lines off, " I am gonna get that support and get better"

Sorry if my post seems harsh. I was trying to word it in a nice way.

Hope your okay.

no ur post dont seem harsh at all i can see what ur saying... i guess i find it hard to accept help
    thanks... yeah im okaii just a bit upset about it all and dont know where to go or who to turn to...
  • Options
    JPick wrote: »
    Hi MrsMcelderry,

It sounds like your auntie is going through a really difficult time, especially as it was your uncle's anniversary yesterday. She clearly means a lot to you. Is there any way you can find out exactly where in Brighton she is? Maybe the person who told you she was there might know.. What do you think about Ellie suggestion? Would being there and asking her what you can do be a good first step?

I can totally understand that you're worried about going down the same road. It must be a bit scary to think that you could end up in the same situation. Banana Monkey makes a great point. Everyone?s different, and mental health issues can affect people in different ways. Just because it happened to your auntie, doesn?t mean it?ll happen to you. What kind of support are you getting at the moment?

I don't know if you've seen it already, but we've got an article on being sectioned, which might be helpful.

Let us know how you're doing :)

JPick

it was all hard for us about my uncle he left us so suddenly... the person who told me wont tell me anymore as he dont want me or anyone to go and see her because she is in such a state....
    i just want to help her so much and do everything i can to find her and help her but im frightened does that make me selfish?

im not getting any support at the moment as i find it hard to accept help...
    i havent seen that article before ill have a look now thanks JPick
  • Options
    id love to go and see her i really do but im frightened does that make me sound selfish?

It doesn't make you sound selfish at all. I think it's a completely rational fear! Initially my sister was to afraid to come and see me when I was admitted into hospital. Would it be worthwhile talking to the rest of your family about how you're feeling and work out how best to support your auntie and each other? I would say it is completely normal to be upset/frightened etc. She is your relative and you care about her, so naturally it will take its toll on you. Just make sure you're looking after yourself as well. *hug*
  • Options
    JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Being frightened doesn’t make you selfish in my book either. It’s totally normal to feel scared in a situation like this.

You said you want to do everything you can to find her. Do you have any idea of how to go about that? Is there anyone else you could ask or do you have any more information?

Accepting help can be hard. Have you thought about why it's hard for you?

I hope the article helped a bit, and keep us posted :)
  • Options
    Take things a step at a time :)

Hey hun,
    I've read your post; I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties your family are facing.

When I was 11, my best friend was sectioned in a psychiatric ward due to severe anorexia. I wanted to go visit her but wasn't sure what I'd say even if I did go see her. Instead I started by writing to her; that way, if it didn't sound just right, there was no instant pressure, I could just throw it away and start writing a new letter. After we'd exchanged several letters, I felt confident enough to actually visit her as she sounded just like her normal self in the letters.

I know it seems weird, and like they've changed, but she honestly won't have. In terms of your own problems, why not see if you can speak to a professional to see if they can support you? :)

If you want to talk things through, you can always inbox me!

FrogsandRainbows.X
  • Options
    Ellie :) wrote: »
    It doesn't make you sound selfish at all. I think it's a completely rational fear! Initially my sister was to afraid to come and see me when I was admitted into hospital. Would it be worthwhile talking to the rest of your family about how you're feeling and work out how best to support your auntie and each other? I would say it is completely normal to be upset/frightened etc. She is your relative and you care about her, so naturally it will take its toll on you. Just make sure you're looking after yourself as well. *hug*

i tried to talk to my family about it and they didnt want to know at all.... it feels like they dont wanna know coz of whats happened.... and they keep telling me if i dont buck my ideas up this will be me in the next few years and i would say i have looked after myself well but ive done something stupid :(
  • Options
    JPick wrote: »
    Being frightened doesn?t make you selfish in my book either. It?s totally normal to feel scared in a situation like this.

You said you want to do everything you can to find her. Do you have any idea of how to go about that? Is there anyone else you could ask or do you have any more information?

Accepting help can be hard. Have you thought about why it's hard for you?

I hope the article helped a bit, and keep us posted :)

i really dont know where to start or nothing.... my family it seems like they have washed their hands of her....

i want to accept help but something in my mind tells me not to accept the help so i dont....
  • Options
    Hey hun,
    I've read your post; I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties your family are facing.

When I was 11, my best friend was sectioned in a psychiatric ward due to severe anorexia. I wanted to go visit her but wasn't sure what I'd say even if I did go see her. Instead I started by writing to her; that way, if it didn't sound just right, there was no instant pressure, I could just throw it away and start writing a new letter. After we'd exchanged several letters, I felt confident enough to actually visit her as she sounded just like her normal self in the letters.

I know it seems weird, and like they've changed, but she honestly won't have. In terms of your own problems, why not see if you can speak to a professional to see if they can support you? :)

If you want to talk things through, you can always inbox me!

FrogsandRainbows.X

hiya,

i would write a letter but i wouldnt know what to say to her.... i have a habit of putting my foot right in it all the time....
    i would but i cant i cant accept help......
  • Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Just say whats in your heart lovely. I know it sounds really cheesy but being honest from your heart is the way forward.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "