Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

House buying (in Scotland)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am starting to seriously think about buying a house.

Does anyone have any key tips/hints/advice for muppets on the whole rigmarole?

I think I've got the basics covered - in that I have what I think equates to a deposit, I have a salary that I think will qualify for a mortgage. Just trying to get an idea of stuff beyond the immediately obvious and if any one has any experience of reality vs initial ideas that I might need to bear in mind.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Obviously I've never bought a house, but there are some good articles in the home law and money section. http://www.thesite.org/homelawandmoney/home/buying

Have you spoken to the bank at all?
    make sure youve got all your financial documents together, scan them and make copies. You'll need 3 months worth of pay slips, p60,proof of deposit, proof of identity, proof of address, old and new. If you search online you should find lists of most other things you need to remember. As for actually sorting your mortgage, I'd recommend doing it through a broker, you don't pay them (the bank does) and they make the whole process a lot easier, we've moved twice and used a broker both times. And dont forget a conveyancing solicitor, expect to pay approx £500 in fees, plus all your stamp duty etc
    You need to build up a contingency for solicitors fees and also getting fucked around by them as well.

Seriously most people who I know who have gone through house buying have had a hard time because of the bloody lawyers. They're all overpaid shysters who just want your money.

So having a bit of extra 'contingency' money for one use or another can give you a buffer to stop beating them over the head with, and take notes of everything they tell you and also don't get too stressed :)
    Cheers guys. All much appreciated
    Scotland = Deep fired contracts :)