Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Shouldn't the 8 year old boy man up and get a job?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A friend is a 30 year old single mom raising an 8 year old son. He behaves himself and everything. The problem here is that she works full time at a big box retailer for a decent salary while he doesn't work at all. He makes A's in school but that doesn't bring home income. He does simple chores around the house like dusting and making his bed, but nothing significant like washing dishes and vacuuming, which his mom does. He doesn't even stay home alone after school but is either with babysitter or daycare, which his mom takes the trouble to pick him up from. She had to turn down friends going out at night just to stay with the kid.

Not to mention the expense he incurs, like clothes, school supplies, extracurriculars (soccer practice.) He spends money without making money. She doesn't see any problem with it. He's the man of the house but he mooches off of her. What kind of a man is that? Yet, she willingly lets him do that to her and she willingly provides for him. Even willingly takes time off work when he's sick. I'm 24 and don't have kids and my friend won't see my point of view. How do I get her to wake up? We fight sometimes over the fact that we no longer spend time together as much ever since she had the kid.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    He's not a man. He's 8. He's a child.

But this is ubertroll so whatever.
    He's not a man. He's 8. He's a child.

But this is ubertroll so whatever.

How do I stop fighting with this friend? We used to get along so well.
    Kissmekate wrote: »
    How do I stop fighting with this friend? We used to get along so well.

By not telling her that her child should be doing something that would get her thrown in jail.
    This thread makes no sense at all. He's 8 years old. Can't he enjoy his childhood?
    Melian wrote: »
    This thread makes no sense at all. He's 8 years old. Can't he enjoy his childhood?

That's fine, but she spends less time with friends (me included) ever since having that kid. We should be going clubbing together after a good day's work. Instead, I go out with other single friends while she is helping with homework and putting that kid to bed.
    "that kid" is her responsibility; she is doing the right thing. Get a sense of perspective in your life and sort yourself out.
    Kissmekate wrote: »
    That's fine, but she spends less time with friends (me included) ever since having that kid. We should be going clubbing together after a good day's work. Instead, I go out with other single friends while she is helping with homework and putting that kid to bed.

:confused: What would you rather she did? leave the child at home alone?
    This sounds like a troll. No one would seriously expect an 8 year old child to 'earn' his keep.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Your attempts at trolling get clearer and clearer.
    Troll with a capital T. The mods on this site are too lenient sometimes!
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    This is a really provocative topic and thread. If you are genuinely feeling at a loss because your friend is no longer around for you in the same way, then it will help to get some perspective. As well as the comments already made here, TheSite's article will I lose my mate gives a bit more insight:
    They're having a baby

This one needs a bit more tact. The baby is likely to be the most important thing in your friend's life so far, so you can't start whinging that you're not getting enough attention. Having a little 'un also means your mate is going to be exhausted and sleep deprived too. They will need a good friend though, so you can help out in practical ways, offering to look after the baby while they have a well earned sleep, or taking your pal out for a night on the town while their partner or another mate babysits.

When the newborn arrives, don't automatically rush out to get something for the baby like everyone else will do. Treat your mate to something just for them, to say 'well done', and remind them that their identity is more than just 'Mum' or 'Dad'.

So, bottom line really is to cut them some slack and think about whether you respect them enough to support them in this change. :)

Having said all this, this thread does come after a series of threads that lead us to question your honesty. So I'm going to close this now that we've given the best support we can under the circumstances.
This discussion has been closed.