Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Not sure what to do

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all

I have been on an apprenticeship for nearly a year now, but Iv really had enough of it.
In all honesty, if I had known exactly what the job was before I applied I never would have!! The advertising for it wasnt particularly clear...

Anyway, Iv been feeling really fed up and depressed and Im wondering whether its because of this job? In all honesty I have never really liked it, but then Iv never been able to settle into and enjoy a job. I tend to always feel like this about jobs.
Is it all me?

The main issue though is there is another job that Im quite interested in that is recruiting now too and I want to go for it, but I feel like I HAVE to stick to this as I feel obligated to, even though Im not and theyre not obligated to give me a job at the end of it.
Plus, I kind of want to get the diploma at the end of the apprenticeship (3 months time) but its a diploma I dont think I`ll really use, itll just look good.

And I dont want to miss out on this other job that Im reallly pretty interested in either!

I really dont know what to do!!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi The Leaf

It sounds like you're feeling quite torn by these two jobs at the moment. You don't say what the two jobs are, but I'm guessing they're in different fields from the way you describe the situation - is that right?

You've worked really hard at your apprenticeship so far - and with only 3 months to go you might end up regretting not finishing it if you did go for the other job. Is it likely that other similar jobs will come up in the future? If so, perhaps you could finish your apprenticeship and then look around for something like this one afterwards?

Also, it's easy to think that jobs are our dream job when we're not doing them as all we can do is imagine... there could be a chance that you change jobs and then decide you don't really like the new one either!

I'm not trying to put you off applying - just to make sure that you're really sure if you do. If you do decide to apply for the other one, you may even be able to negotiate with your new employer - it can take a good 6-8 weeks to go through the recruitment process and work out notice etc, so if they really like you they might be prepared to wait a little bit longer while you finish your apprenticeship.

Let us know what you decide!